• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Telling The Difference Between Gearboxes

DaveK

Its recommended that i use a late (91 on) 1.9 gti gbox for my rally car, but i dont know how to tell the diff between the 1.6 and 1.9 ones i have

Are there standard numbers that should be on it somewhere?

Cheers folks, tried searching but didnt find anything

Dave

j_turnell

It should tell you on the crown wheel, youll need to take the diff housing off, pretty easy if its out the car, just a few bolts.

1.9 = 16x59 (3.9)

1.6 = 16x64 (4.05)

Mi16 = 14x62 (4.4)

Think this is correct.

smckeown
Its recommended that i use a late (91 on) 1.9 gti gbox for my rally car, but i dont know how to tell the diff between the 1.6 and 1.9 ones i have

Are there standard numbers that should be on it somewhere?

Cheers folks, tried searching but didnt find anything

Dave

Is one of your competitors giving you this advice ? ;)

DaveK

nah its taken from the Ecosse 205 Challenge Reg's. I know i thought it was weird info aswell, apparently its the best option, not so sure myself hehe

its to go on a 1600 engine btw, which is what confused me, surely the 1.6 is the best gbox for the 1.6 engine

Edited by DaveK

Hilgie

I think Mi box might be even better?

DaveK

not allowed mi box, standard 1.6 or 1.9 only and cant mix ratios either

Hilgie

then I'd say 1.6 box for sure

Miles

The 1.6 final drive is 16x65 giving as said a 4.05 ratio, the 1.9 would just be silly on a rally stage with a 3.9 ratio, Always best to check the diff as said because it could have been played with in the past

brianthemagical

surely the main difference will be the top speed but only if the engine is topping out in 5th on the 1.6 box. unless you'll only use four gears and this will give you an advantage of not needing 5th.

smckeown
surely the main difference will be the top speed but only if the engine is topping out in 5th on the 1.6 box. unless you'll only use four gears and this will give you an advantage of not needing 5th.

The higher final drive ratio will give more wheel torque. Yes it will have a lower top speed, you'll change gear more often and the ratios are slightly wider; but acceleration will be faster with the 1.6 box

pug_ham
1.9 = 16x59 (3.9)

Think this is correct.

16 x 59 makes it 3.6875 not 3.9.

Graham.

DaveK

Ok, ive been spending ages looking into this and some people seem to be saying that the longer 1st gear is good for the forest stages.

Any of you rally lads got any experience/preference with using either 1.6 or 1.9 boxes on a 1.6 engine?

I have a known good 1.9 box which i could just chuck on, but would maybe need to rebuild the 1.6

According to an excel file i found on here somewhere, the 1.9 box would top out at 43 in first, the 1.6 would top out at 34.

upshift RPM I shift up at 6000 rpm

('box/FD) ,1st-2nd ,2nd-3rd ,3rd-4th ,4th-5th ,5th-6th

1.6/1.6 ,3408 ,4340 ,4721 ,4879 , 0

1.9/1.9 ,3801 ,4411 ,4721 ,4879 ,0

Am i right in saying that using the 1.9 box would mean i would be higher up the rev range when shifting up, thereofer being more in the power?

Cheers again, Dave

Edited by DaveK

j_turnell

The 1.6 is a revvy engine therfore it has shorter ratios to suit as it doesnt come to life until 4-4.5k A 1.9 obv has more torque lower down making better use of the longer ratios. Personally i'd deff go for a 1.6 box, or an mi box for as a good compromise.

Guest Tommy

Hi Dave K

I rallycross a stockhatch 205

Only allowed use standard 1.6 box but car came with a 1.9 box & tried it at some autocross events

It didn't suit my discipline but maybe you experience more wheelspin on gravel constantly

Rallycross is a mixture of loose & hard surface

Does your car have the ecu de-limited?

In rallycross we let them out to 7200 rpm in 1st, there's quite a lift then in 2nd but no advantage to let it as rev as high in 2nd, 3rd & 4th are fine normal peak torque changes then. Any cars that don't have the rev limiter removed are usually lagging behind after the ones de-limited are changing to third

While we're on it somebody has informed me that the Limited Edition 205's came with a close ratio gearbox

It's basically a box with diesel ratios & the final drive from a 1.6 gti(4.063)

Is this true??

Have never heard this before

Miles

The early 1.6 box as I;ve talked about before on the forum was used in 1984 and maybe 85 on the 105bhp engines and used horrid selector fork's like the early MA boxes with a plastic clip on the end which breaks off and makes the change like a d*** in a bucket, but can be swaped over to the later one's, You'll be hard pushed to find one of these now.

DaveK

nah my ecu wont be de-limited as the scrutineers can change anyones ecu with their own to make sure they arent cheating :(

The stages are either completely gravel, of which there are 5 i think, and 3 tarmac stages

Sign in to follow this