• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest leegt

How Much Off For Skim?

Guest leegt

done a quick search guys but i get a little bored trawling through the threads. the engine is question is an ax gti tu3 and is being fitted with a fast road cam but to get a little more i want to get the head skimmed. i have found that 1mm will take it up to 10:1? sounds a lot of metal removed? i suppose if that is right i assume that this is a good, safe comp ratio to have, also i hope i wont get any valve touch? thanks in advance lee

stu_woac

I've had a head done to 2mm with no valve touch with standard head gasket

Guest leegt

2mm thats some serious metal removal, what compression ratio were you getting with that? only really want to go to around 10:1 cos i need reliabilty to thanks lee

stu_woac

unsure on ratio, must of been near 11:1

8022100_0627-med.JPG

pic of the head skim

Edited by stu_woac

Rippthrough

Think I took off 1.4mm for 10.4:1

Guest leegt

sounds like 1mm for the win then? should be around 10:1. thanks all the help so far, the head is not going in until next week so the more suggestions the better

Edited by leegt

TKH

Be a bit careful as the MPI heads as they are very different to the old carb TUs. Valve clearance is a bit more of a issue with them. If your planning on putting a wild cam in as well you may have to start cutting clearance in the pistons. Its ok though as there is plenty of meat in AX GTI ones.

Guest leegt

thanks for the replies so far i just need a definate answer really to how much to take off is 1 mm to much?

stu_woac

well try the 1mm if the vavles hit it isnt much of a big deal apart from more exspence as your just need a thicker head gasket like a repair gasket which would normally be used after a few skims to bring the engine back to standard compression I dout it will touch tho whats the lift on the cam as my 2mm head was running a 11.6mm lift which is quite a lift

Banjo

Deck the block instead.

TKH

A relatively standard AX GTI head with standard valves but a GM1 cam fitted and skimmed down to the casting mounds in combustion chamber requires valve cut outs like these to clear.

Image000.jpg

Modified 205 xs head with custom inlet valves and 106 S1 rallye exhaust valves fitted then skimmed to within a inch of its life with a kent full race cam.

head.jpg

Will clear piston with a relatively small cut outs like these.

pist.jpg

Sign in to follow this