• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Enfield

Fitting A New Cam

Enfield

Hi there,

Have just bought the shorter ratio MA gearbox for my UK Rallye, XS carbs and a cylinder head also from an XS.

There is one problem though...the head has bent valves so I will not be able to remove the current head and bolt this one straight on.

I was going to remove the XS cam from it and put it in my engine but my dad has just told me that it will be worn to that engine. So if I fitted it to mine it would run lumpy...is this correct?

Is it worth sending the head off to get repaired someone and getting it tuned up at the same time? If so where can I get it done?

Thanks

stu_woac

the cam would be fine and shouldnt be worn if oil was right in the engine be 4, if worn there will be real bad heat marks, it will never make the engine run lumpy any way even if it was, this is why you have adjustment on the tappets to correct inperfections

if you get the head tuned up you wont want the standard cam anymore so you would want to buy a new cam

if you still fancy a tune head I have a perfect one sat here does need valve springs fitting

Enfield

That's cool...

Is it easy to fit the cam? What needs to be done?

Jrod

You need to take the head off so you may aswell bin the whole engine and get an Alloy block.

I have one forsale. :)

stu_woac

yes you will need to undo the head bolts but the head doesnt have to come off, your need a new set of head bolts tho,

the engine will need tilting tho

Edited by stu_woac

Enfield

The engine needs tilting?

Why's that mate?

What would happen if I use the same bolts...how much are they new?

stu_woac

£15 new, measure the the length off the cam and the space you have next to the engine on the drivers side lol, I just was thinking tho when was your head gasket changed last as this culd be a good time to replace that to then like jrod said you can just whip the head of to take the cam out , and change the gasket at the same tine I think the head gasket kit including bolts is £50-£60 dont quote me on it tho I think mine was less

Jrod

Say they snapped in the block, how pissed off would you be then?

Worth just getting new bolts I think.

GazRallye

I got a head gasket kit for £20 off ebay included new bolts, new gaskets, new oil seals for the cam evrthing you need basically, theres loads on there, might have to look for ax or saxo or 106 tho, but i'm pretty sure they're all the same

Sign in to follow this