• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pj838

306 Gti-6 Ecu - How To Unlock Before Removing Engine

pj838

Right. I am buying a 306 gti6 engine which atm is still running in the car, a phase 2.

I need to know the exact sequence to perform so that the ECU will unlock, so I can wire it into my 205. Bearing in mind I will have to explain it to someone over the phone :(

The seller has the matched key obviously. As I understand it, he will just:

Start the car

Unplug the ECU (1 big connector?) while it is running

The engine will stop

The ECU will be unlocked

Is this right?

Will he need to do anything to the transponder box?

Reeealy don't fancy going through the nightmare other people have had with this so any help much appreciated.

Paul.

Edited by pj838

jonnie205

Thtas right, as long as ecu does not see transponder box again then it will never lock

littlemike

I thought that it was the imobiliser box you have to unplug not the engine ecu.

doughboy
I thought that it was the imobiliser box you have to unplug not the engine ecu.

iirc, the immobiliser box is generic, just the ecu/transponder in key are needed..

Could be wrong though :D

jonnie205

None of the transponder or key is needed all. Once the ecu has been unplugged it is unlocked, key, transponder box, immobiliser will never be needed again. The ecu will not relock itself agin unless it comes into contcat with all the exact doner vehicle, key, transponder etc.

maxi
iirc, the immobiliser box is generic, just the ecu/transponder in key are needed..

Could be wrong though :D

This is a myth and must be ignored straight away. The ECU, KEY AND TRANSPONDER are all coded to eachother and the matching set must be used to unlock the ECU. I know this from experience.

Maxi

doughboy
This is a myth and must be ignored straight away. The ECU, KEY AND TRANSPONDER are all coded to eachother and the matching set must be used to unlock the ECU. I know this from experience.

Maxi

I thought the bit inside the key was the transponder.

So the way it works is the chip in the key must match the transponder box. That box then tells the ecu to unlock. Right?

smighall

Maxi

Agreed. We proved this the other weekend.

smighall
I thought the bit inside the key was the transponder.

So the way it works is the chip in the key must match the transponder box. That box then tells the ecu to unlock. Right?

Yes, i think Maxi ment transponder and transponder box. The chip is a small black chip that sits inside the key's casing.

pj838

Thanks A LOT for the replies :)

I have another day before he takes the engine out so any more info is great. I mentioned it to him and he said "to be honest mate I think it's complete bollocks" :D:D but I will try and talk him round!

Then again its not exactly difficult to do like so I will ask him nicely to do it regardless.

Cheers!

Paul.

Hilgie

The way I have done it on several engines (incl V6 and T16) was to unplug the keypad/coding box while the engine is running. Shut down engine and next time no keypad is needed anymore, it will just start.

Might be differnto to the GTi6 with the transponder stuff.

Sign in to follow this