• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mishu

Soundproofing Plans.. Opinions?

mishu

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of doing some soundproofing, and, after reading the soundproofing guide on the site, most of the posts here (and some Google returned), I was thinking of doing the following (considering I'm on a budget):

-cover the critical areas (floor and boot) which some rubberized soundproofing paint

-use Marley tape on the floor, boot, inside of the doors, inside of the boot (1 layer at first, more if necessary later)

-cover the floor, boot, the lower part of the area behind the rear doors (5-door model here) with some kind of automotive carpet (something that can take the wear and tear involved)

I have a few questions though.. (If you're still with me :():

1. The main reason I'm doing this is to keep out some of the road/engine noise (a firewall soundproofing will come soon too). I'd also prefer to get that thump when closing the doors, but that's not really the main objective. From what I've read here, they seem to think that Marley tape isn't really going to give me what I'm after. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Is there something I could/should use between the Marley tape layer and the carpet, which can hold and then let the water evaporate, preventing it from getting anywhere near the metal? I was thinking of maybe putting some Marley tape on the underside of the carpet, making it waterproof. But that would probably leave me with a problem in case the water gets under carpet (on the sides). Suggestions?

So, what do you think of the plan?

mishu

mishu

Also, I'm a bit worried about rust forming under the Marley tape, but that shouldn't be a problem if I apply it with the help of a hot air gun.. or is even that overkill? Any advice preparing the surface before applying?

Thanks!

mishu

boombang

I'm a big fan of Schutz myself - it looks OEM, dries hard, seals well and works well as insulation/deadening.

saveloy

Many years ago I covered both doors and the rear foot wells with bitumen pads. It worked wonders for sound deadening and the doors have certainly lost their tinny feel.

More recently I covered the left side of the boot floor (over the exhaust) with dynamat sheet. Very impressive results. The exhaust noise and any boom has been completely minimised.

My bro-in-law is a NVH engineer and tells me that if you isolate the initial resonating panel it works wonders for secondary vibrations,etc.

Doof

how much does this stuff weigh?

Would you be looking at around 10kg's for the whole car deadened?

Paintguy

If you're on a budget, then this stuff is very good, and much more effective than flashing tape. As with all damping products, it weighs a fair bit, as that's how it works, adding mass to the panels moves their resonant frequency outside the audible range.

You'll then need something between this and the carpet to absorb any noise that still transfers through. The original stuff is the best type, as it has an absorbing felt layer, then a hard layer over it that reflects the noise back into the felt.

If you're feeling really flush, have a look at Second Skin products. Highly regarded as the dogs whatsits, but quite expensive. All their range is available from Car Audio Direct, who offer free delivery to forum members :) A layer of Damplifier Pro on all the sheet metal, with some luxury liner on the bulkhead and floor will make a tremendous difference to the noise levels, and your wallet too! :o

Edited by Paintguy

mishu

Thanks for the advice!

I was asking about Marley tape, because that's what's available locally too (I'm from Romania). I'll check whether that site ships to Romania (although probably not free :(), that product does look promising.

I'll stick to glueing something to the metal, then some absorbing felt (also good in case any water gets through), then some carpet. I might restore the old carpet, since it doesn't look that used. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks again!

mishu

Paintguy
I'm from Romania

Ah... I didn't notice that :(

Sign in to follow this