• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
paulh

Distributor Lead

paulh

Trying to trace a slight misfire so decided to check some of the wiring out. Removed the small lead on the side of the distributor as shown below.

DSCF3051.jpg

Measuring resistance of the cores (there are 2) between the yellow plug and the black socket -

one reads zero ohms and the other reads about 92K ohms.

Can anyone confirm these are correct - perhaps there is a built in resistor on one of the cores

or my lead is knackered. :)

Many thanks in advance.

Richie-Van-GTi

zero ohms sounds like either the wire is broken inside or you didnt get a connection. You should get something. But may also be your problem as it may be arcing across the gap when running.

paulh

Yes the zero ohms means there is no break in the wire, the higher reading 92K ohms means a higher resistance which may be the problem I'm looking for.

I decided to measure this to see if the wire was broken or the yellow plug was faulty. Thanks again.

Richie-Van-GTi

just been and measured mine as Im rewiring at moment anway, I get .7 ohms on both wires. absolute zero normally suggests no connection but I know some meters will read 1 at the wrong end of the display for no connection. All wires have some resistance.

paulh

Thanks Richie looks like the problem, sounds like a trip to the scrappy at the weekend - Cheers :)

Rob_the_Sparky

No connection (open circuit) will not read zero on any meter that I've used and no decent meter will every read absolute zero due to contact resistance and limitations of the meter.

However, on the subject in hand - yes it is knackered...

brianthemagical

it can depend on the range setting/sensitivity of the meter. i.e. if the same range was used for the 92k reading and the 0 reading then the 0 may have meant something like less than 10 or 100 ohms. if it's auto ranging then the above obviously doesn't apply.

i agree with the knackered diagnosis

Edited by brianthemagical

paulh
it can depend on the range setting/sensitivity of the meter. i.e. if the same range was used for the 92k reading and the 0 reading then the 0 may have meant something like less than 10 or 100 ohms. if it's auto ranging then the above obviously doesn't apply.

i agree with the knackered diagnosis

It was an auto ranging Fluke testmeter we use at work with some decent test leads.

When I said zero ohms it was probably about 0.2 ohms which is the slight resistance of

the wire and the test leads added together.

Pugnut
just been and measured mine as Im rewiring at moment anway, I get .7 ohms on both wires. absolute zero normally suggests no connection but I know some meters will read 1 at the wrong end of the display for no connection. All wires have some resistance.

just to be anal, you're meter is say I with open leads which means infinity. not 1 . although it looks like 1 on an lcd display.

0 means no resistance which as already stated is almost impossible due to test probes and the resistance of you're test leads themselves.

absolute zero means as cold as anything could ever get -273 degrees C

:) yes i'm a cock!

Rob_the_Sparky
just to be anal, you're meter is say I with open leads which means infinity. not 1 . although it looks like 1 on an lcd display.

0 means no resistance which as already stated is almost impossible due to test probes and the resistance of you're test leads themselves.

absolute zero means as cold as anything could ever get -273 degrees C

:ph34r: yes i'm a cock!

LOL, and I thought I was bad!

Sign in to follow this