• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

106 Gti

Dan Ingram

My friend has a 106 Gti that has recently had some head work done to it at high flow heads. He has purchased some Piper 285 cams. When coming to time them in we're not to sure what to set them at. Someone has said 110deg ATDC. But what do we set to that the inlet or outlet?? There arn't any timing marks on the cams so we would just be going off the marks on the pulleys. As far as I know you would set the inlet on No1 to 110deg ATDC but then what would you set the exhaust one to??

Any help on this would be appreciated as we are a bit stuck

Thanks in advance

Dan.

Sandy

According to their catalogue, they suggest lift @ TDC should be set at 1.47mm Inlet and 0.4mm Exhaust. Forgive me if I tell you anything you already know, but what this means, is that if No1 and No4 cylinders are at TDC (right at the top of the cylinder), then one of those cylinders will have the valves closed and the other will have the inlet valve opened 1.47mm and the exhaust valve will be open 0.4mm. This is a far more reliable, accurate and possibly foolproof method of checking the timing than peak angle.

Fit the cams as per the proecedure for standard cams in the Haynes book and it should be somewhere near unless the head has been skimmed alot. Make sure the pulley 10mm adjuster bolts are in the middle of their slots when the belt's tightened, to ensure you have enough free adjustment.

Now get someone with a dial gauge that knows what they're doing to set the lift at TDC or show you how, i've been trying to write and explaination, but it's too elongated!

Dan Ingram

Thanks, you've been very helpful thats exactly what I needed to know :blink:

Sign in to follow this