• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
acox99

Iv Started Removing My Engine, But Can Get The Driverside Driveshaft O

acox99

Started to take my 1.9 mi out of my 405, but i cant ever work out how to get it out without destroying the driveshafts, and how to get the bottom engine mount free, and how to get the driveshafts out of the engine mount. cheers for any help, saves breaking things again

Anthony

Removing the driveshaft is easy enough.

• Drain gearbox oil
  • Undo the hubnut
  • Seperate the hub and wishbone
  • Undo the two 11mm intermediate bearing clamp bolts
  • Get a suitable blunt drift and knock the driveshaft through the engine mount - there's a handy raised bit to bash against
  • When the intermediate bearing is free of the engine mount, remove the driveshaft from the hub and remove the whole shaft.

Do not just pull on the driveshaft to free the intermediate bearing from the engine mount, as it'll end in tears with two halves of a driveshaft and lots of needle rollers everywhere...

Edp
Do not just pull on the driveshaft to free the intermediate bearing from the engine mount, as it'll end in tears with two halves of a driveshaft and lots of needle rollers everywhere...

Been there before! :blink:

Gentrix

My last driveshaft was so stuck in the Enginemounthousing, that I had to unbolt the whole Enginemount with the driveshaft attached. Was very tight, but the only option before taking the grinder to the shaft. Even on the workbench, it was very hard to seperate them.

What just a tiny bit of corrosion can cause....

acox99

cheers antony, will give it a go, might be a bit hard as i havent got a balljoint splitter. and have to hold engine up, as i have already taken it off the mounts, think i was getting a bit keen!!!

Richie-Van-GTi

dont need a balljoint splitter IMO, I dont have one and never had issues. I just pop the jack handle through the wishbone and stand on it. Sometimes takes a bit of persuasion but it works :)

M_R_205

personly i use a bit of angle iron as a long ass lever between the bearing housing and the raised bit to seperate, as for the ball joint i use the same bit of angle iron, kind of what Richie-van-gti does with his jack handle, i learnt my lesson about not pulling on the shaft instantly as the cv boot split and it went tits up bearings grese and tears all over the shop..

Sign in to follow this