• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PhilCTI

Misfire Above 2500 Rpm

PhilCTI

I was hoping someone might be able to give some pointers on my engine problem.

It is a standard 1.6 gti engine, only difference is a K&N induction air filter.

The engine starts first time, and idles really well, the problem is when you try and rev over 2500 rpm, it has a bad misfire, and coughs and splutters. If you try and drive it, she kangaroos off down the road.

My local garage has had a look and are unsure of what the problem is, I know it has new plugs, new leads fitted. I don't have the knowledge or equipment to sort this unfortunately.

It's going back the garage tomorrow for a new wheel bearing, and would be helpful if I could point them in the right direction, (apart from finding another garage!)and I deperately need to get her on the road before the end of the month (currently sorn)

If anyone has any ideas, I be very grateful,

Phil

j_turnell

Had this before on a few cars, was a fueling issue. Try replacing the ecu temp sensor and checking the wires going to it. Also check the fuel pump is supplying enough pressure.

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive had that issue and it was a lazy fuel pump. Try bridging the wires and undoing the fuel union, meaure what its flowing in a set period of time (60 seconds), IIRC there is the information on here somewhere as to what it should flow :)

PhilCTI

Thanks for the replies,

For what the ecu temp sensor costs, I'll try that as I go past a GSF on the way home from work,

I do have a spare fuel pump, if the sensor makes no difference I'll give it to the garage tomorrow

thanks

Phil

PhilCTI
Thanks for the replies,

For what the ecu temp sensor costs, I'll try that as I go past a GSF on the way home from work,

I do have a spare fuel pump, if the sensor makes no difference I'll give it to the garage tomorrow

thanks

Phil

Just to update, tried a new ecu temp sensor and it looks to have solved the problem,

all the spluttering and jerkyness has gone, still feels a little low on power but I things like the timing are probably a bit out after the garage trying to tune when it had the problem,

thanks again

Phil

lordvader

I had a similar problem to you, in that I had misfires in that rev-range while in a low gear.

Turned out to be the coil-pack. Had a new one fitted, and it was fine !

Sign in to follow this