• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Wheel Painting

boldy205

Hi, i have just been out to finish preping and then started to spray my alloys. As the primer dryed it formed a cracked crazy paving type effect, almost like the wheel had silicone or something on the surface. I wipedd the wheel down with thinners and tryed again, but i still had the same problems.

Could it be the fact its cold (ish) and damp? Or is the thinners just not shifting any silicone type substance (ie. back to black that the previous owner may have put on the tyres as the crazing is mainly round the edge of the wheel.) Does anyone know of something better that thinners for cleaning, any pro paint people got any ideas? :unsure:

Thanks

Matt.

Jer309GTi

Are they my old wheels? Wasn't the outside rim polished, so maybe the paint isn't sticking to the polished bit? Just a guess, you've got a lot more experience of painting things than I have :unsure:

Nitro-mors the buggers, like to see anything stay on after that :D

Edited by Jer309GTi

mattmk1

If its cracking then its likely that its either reacting with any previous paint, or the wheels are still damp from when you wiped them down with the thiners. Out of curiosity, what paint are you uising?

steve@cornwall

Isn't the crazy-paving effect usually paint applied too thickly?

pugpete1108

i would say its reacting with either the previous paint or the thinners , the only real choice is to sand it right back and start again , maybe useing a barrier paint between them.

sonofsam

Yeah agree with Pete. Wet flatting them down with a warm soapy solution should get rid of any deposit's, be it dirt or grease. and just clean off afterwards with water, and dry thourougly.

Had heard somewhere that it's not advisable to spray paint in the cold/damp (winter) conditions doesnt the paint 'Bloom'?

Bloomin paint hehe lol!

Edp

I was going to do this with a set of speedlines I have but I ended up using a local powder coating place in Mitcham. They only charge £30 a wheel and they bead blast them first to remove all the old laquer and paint. The powder coat route is also very durable.

In your case, like already said, the paints have reacted with each other, I had it happen when spraying some bits a few years back, wheres paintguy when you need him?! :ph34r:

boldy205

think i will try and warm it all up inside, or just wait till the summer!! (try and sneak them in onto the kitchen table!!)

jshep205gti

Give the wheels a proper clean and start again.

I know giving it a go yourself is a good shout, but why not get a bodyshop to spray 4 wheels for you? Got mine done for £40 a wheel...in VW magic black!! Pics...http://www.grindnshine.co.uk/portfolio.php?id=20

That way you can demand they are high quality and you can have exactly what colour etc you want.

I am aware this doesnt help your situation!! I thought £40 a wheel was cheap as ya like though!

boldy205

thanks for the replies everyone. I am concidering going down the professional route now as i have been told its probabaly the old paint reacting with the new. Just hacked off now after spending £25 on paint! thats a night in the pub!!! :blush:

timmsy19
i would say its reacting with either the previous paint or the thinners , the only real choice is to sand it right back and start again , maybe useing a barrier paint between them.

pete have you managed to sort out the wheels you got from michael?

Paintguy
wheres paintguy when you need him?! :)

Working all the hours God sends to get a customers car ready on time :(:blush:

I know I'm a bit late, but I agree that it'll more than likely be the solvents in the freshly applied paint seeping down and lifting the existing stuff. Not a nice situation to be in :(

Best remedies are stripping back to bare metal (or at least a sound, stable layer of paint), or applying a water based isolator, like good old Barcoat :)

Edp
Working all the hours God sends to get a customers car ready on time :D:unsure:

Glad to see your being kept busy B);)

boldy205

thanks paint guy. this barrier paint you mention, is is available in rattle cans? also does it make a differance to the paint if i use water based (barrier paint) on top of cellulouse based paint(as i presume this is whats on the wheels at the moment as they have been painted buy the previous owner), and then put cellulose paint on top of that (i presume its cellulose i have in my rattle cans?! i bought if from a motor factor)

Thanks for your time

Matt. :blink:

Paintguy

I've never seen Barcoat in a rattle can, but there may be something similar available. Try ringing your local bodyshop/paint supplier, tell them your situation, and tell them you're looking for an isolator.

Barcoat can go over any resonably sound surface, and be overpainted with just about anything. The only stipulation is that you don't sand it, or there's a risk of breaking through it (clearly it can't isolate the layers if you've sanded it off :blink:)

It's not the ideal situation, which would be stripping them back, but it may get around the problem.

boldy205

thanks for the info. i will try to get my hands on some of this isolator paint.

Thanks

Matt. :)

djinuk

noo dont go to get them dome porfessionally unless u want them powercoated, wheels are easy easy and its great to do it yourself saves lots of money and us diy people are a minority now. Just sand them back down with 600 wet n dry n soapy water. then wipe down with panel thinners, then spray with highbuild primer and flat it back down with wet n dry 600 (get rid of any scratches) then spray them, so long you do all that well the paint should not react , also do the spraying in warmer conditons.

boldy205

Well i went to my local (ish) motor factors and bought some Barcoat, what great stuff!! thanks for the advise Paint Guy! it was my 1st time using a proper spray gun, got a couple of runs but i was quite impressed. Just so damp at the moment i cant get the stuff to dry! ohh nice shiney wheels for when the cars back on the road!!

pugpete1108
pete have you managed to sort out the wheels you got from michael?

not yet , got myself a hvlp gun and compressor but am going to wait until the weather gets warmer to save said problems and aid the drying process , (stops bits sticking in it)

am still trying to get a set of speedline stickers to go between the paint and final coat of laquer

Sign in to follow this