• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

2238cc Mi Dyno Results

Sandy

You may have read on another thread that Colin has been building a 2238cc Iron block Mi16, carrying over some components from his old 1930cc hillclimber. The remit essentially was to build an engine with similar peak power, but a broader, stronger spread of torque; to make it easier to keep on the boil and pull harder out of slow corners. When we had it on the Dyno earlier in the week, the original block failed between the cylinders. As you can imagine this was a great disappointment and since the car is due to be taken to France next wednesday, it meant Colin had to rebuild it with including preparing another heavily modified block, in just a couple days. Fortunately all the people that contribute skills to the build were happy to muck in and it was back on the dyno this morning.

The initial results as before were encouraging, it was making around 150-160lbft just over half throttle at 3500rpm during running in, it was clearly going to be special. We kept adding fuel (electronically and literally into the Dyno tank!) and as the running in period was satisfied, the full load sites were being trimmed. Initially it made about 190lbft and John (who designed the cams) was beaming, but insisited there was more to come. As more advance was added carefully, the Dyno read over 200lbft and eventually we saw just over 205lbft at about 5100rpm.

The datalogging is manual so you have to snapshot the figures, but this it what we came away with, corrected DIN figures:

RPM---lbft---bhp----BMEPpsi

4984---201.2---190.9---219

5548---194.2---205.2---212

6000---196.1---224.1---214

6470---190.7---234.9---208

6965---180.3---239.1---196

There was quite a serious standoff about 3500rpm, but it pulls through it ok and because of the outer injectors being mounted in the trumpets, they can't be casually changed to dial it out.

Some aspects of the spec are confidential, but the outline is:

88mm pistons

92mm crank

Steel rods

Mi16 head by Shillaber with standard valve sizes

Dual springs and titanium retainers

Solid lifters

John Read "JRE1" cams

8-4-1 exhaust manifold (we had to use a 90 bend on the collector due to limited space in the dyno cell)

45mm TBs with 90mm trumpets on a re-profiled inlet

DTA e48 management with inner and outer 1.9 yellow injectors

Gibbo GTI

Great results. Congrats to all concerned.

Sandy

Thanks!

Alastairh

Impressive!

Ahl

Congradulazions, thats a very impressive solid spec. ;)

smckeown

looks good, wouldnt mind seeing the complete figures when they are available.

welshpug

love to see an n/a engine that produces the goods without having the nuts revved off it ;)

Guest Si B

Wow, great looking results!

Well done to all the people behind it - including those who helped RE rebuild it so quickly!

Si

Miles

Nice result's, and I see the good old BMEP figures are there again on the forum!!

base-1

Jesus 205 lbs? Bloody well done you lot!

petert

Well done. It's a lot better to make 240hp @ 7000 than 8000! There's no substitute for cubic inches! And all done with std. size valves.

Sandy

It's going to be pretty scary in the car I think, less than 700kg! It's going in on monday, so I hope we see it running in the car before I go away on wednesday.

Henry 1.9GTi
naturally-aspirated, gasoline-fueled, two-valve-per-cylinder, a BMEP over 200 PSI is difficult to achieve and requires a serious development program and very specialized components.

came across that whilst looking up on BMEP :blush:

very impressive result.

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi

Sandy

It's four valve :blush: but yes it's not easy to get this sort of BMEP. The key element is making components work together, which isn't always predictable. The head/cams/inlet/exhaust combo were already optimised on the old engine and John revised the cam timing slightly for the change of capacity, so it did this more or less out of the box! He's Dyno'd pretty much everything on Vauxhall and some other engines and seems to be able to translate that on to the Mi16.

oli-pug

240hp in a car under 700 kg!

scary shizz :unsure:

Jer309GTi

Very impressive Sandy :unsure:

My mildly intoxicated maths makes that 342.8 BHP per ton :D

Doof

And a veyron is what? 500/ton?!?!?!?!

Close :unsure:

Sam

Excellent work yet again!

Sandy

Testing at Llandow next week hopefully, but I don't think i'll be able to go :cry:

welshpug

oooh when??! i might be able to go and watch :ph34r:

pug_ham

Some very handy looking figures being produced there. :D

This car will fly , especially with it weighing under 700kg's :o

Top work by all involved.

Graham.

Anthony

Bloody hell, that's none too shabby! :o

Hilgie

Well done! That'll be one scary car.

Sandy