• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

If I Swap My Gti Bits Into A Non Gti Shell, What Will I Have To Look O

Anton green

If I swap my GTI bits into a non GTI shell, what will I have to look out for to make the conversion into as good as a GTI reshell?

I know I will have to put on wider rear arches to run the speedlines comfortably with 195 tyres on. Things like the subframe and beam will be swapped over obviously to GTI spec. Are there any other differences between the shells of GTI/non GTI cars, as I have my eye on an 'M' reg beast with nice bodywork..

Cheers all

Edited by Anton green

boldy205

apart from the mechanicals you mention, theres alse a LOT of chopping and re forming of the rear arches to be done if you running 15s and (i presume) lowwering it. is it not easyer to just use a gti shell? id think all the hassle with the arches is never worth it (been there, done that got the scrubbing noises!! :lol: ) what sort of bodywork has been done on the new car? enough to warrent the hassle?

(i know you dont want to hear this but a standard(ish) looking 205 GTI is pretty damn nice IMO) :D

DTORU

You'll need to change the rear inner arches if you want to run the 1.9 speedlines as they will scrub! i know i converted a 1.8DT to GTI TD. I was quoted stupid figures to get em changed. you also need to cut / change the rear quaters as they also differ. I just outlined the plastic trim and cut threw the outer and inner arch with a jig saw then welded a plate in to fill in the 1 inch gap i made between the to, this stoped 99.9% of the scrubbing when running 1.9 speedlines.

Think you may have to change the front sub frame as dont the xs's run the smaller wishbones?

Thanks

DTORU

Anton green

Hmn this really is looking like too large a job now. The M shell is standard in graphite gray and immaculate condition BTW.

I'm thinking along the lines of waiting for a GTI shell if I'm going to do this at all now, only great condition GTI shells cost lots more in my experience, so this job will probably be confined to the 'one day in the future' bin

Thanks on the pointers

Sign in to follow this