• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DirtyFlare

Ecu Temperature Sensor

DirtyFlare

Where is the ECU temperature sensor in the engine bay? My car is a 92 1.6 gti if that helps.

Also is it known as anything else? Or will the people down at the local motorfactors know what im talking about?

Richie-Van-GTi

local motorfactors probably wont do it.

Its on the dizzy end of the cylinder head either in the end with the supplementary air device or at that end but round the back. It should have a blue connecter but they often look grey with age.

GLPoomobile

On a 92 it'll be around the back of the head just behind the dizzy and next to the other sensor for the coolant temp guage.

You can get it from GSF for about a tenner but I think is listed as BMW part. So if the same part works on various vehicles I suppose a motor factor may be able to get you one.

Gibbo GTI

Can confirm that its at the back of the head by the dizzy on a '92 as I replaced mine the other day. A deep 19mm socket makes removal very easy. I bought mine from GSF for a tenner + vat. The GSF part number is B93490.

Edited by Gibbo GTI

Grim.Badger
On a 92 it'll be around the back of the head just behind the dizzy and next to the other sensor for the coolant temp guage.

Don't mean to sound like an ar*e but that's the coolant warning light sensor next to the coolant temp guage sensor isn't it? These two sensors are on the back of the head and face the bulkhead. Maybe it's too early in the morning and I've misread you :D

On my 1990 (phase 2 setup) the ECU temp sensor is under the dizzy facing right as you look at the engine bay.

Is it only the French that think having four coolant temperature sensors is a good idea :lol:

GLPoomobile

well in actual fact, I think there are 3 sensors back there. 1 for the coolant temp guage, 1 for the coolant temp warning light, and 1 for the ECU. The first two have a wire each, one red and one black (but I can't remember which is which), and the ECU temp sensor has a thicker wire with a bigger black plug on the end.

I knew it was on the back facing the bulkhead as my last GTi was a 91 J reg.

But as you have pointed out, there are 3 possible locations. For anyone interested, do a search through Pugtorque's posts as he put up photos a few months ago showing all 3 locations. I'm going to nickname Graham The Librarian, as he has phots of everything!

Alastairh

Incorrect.

As Grim Badger says the ecu temp sensor is a blue 2 pin plug and sits below the dizzy. The black 2 pin plug is for the sad, cold start etc. And as said the back 2 are the water temp, and light and the wire runs with them for the oil temp down to the sump.

Alastair

Gibbo GTI

Its definately at the back of the head opposite the firewall, near the dizzy on my '92, sits to the left of the other 2 single wire sensors. Thick wire with a blue 2 pin plug on it.

Grim.Badger

Is there anything stopping you swapping the positions around though? As long as the correct wires are attached does it mater if the blue sensor is in the back of the head?

I'm only asking as GLpoomobiles ECU sensor may have been put in the wrong place by Peugeot but wired up correctly :D

iirc my ECU sensor has a blue clip-on plug and the other two just have those push on connectors.

The fourth sensor I referred to is the one on the radiator that controls the fans :lol:

GLPoomobile
Incorrect.

As Grim Badger says the ecu temp sensor is a blue 2 pin plug and sits below the dizzy. The black 2 pin plug is for the sad, cold start etc. And as said the back 2 are the water temp, and light and the wire runs with them for the oil temp down to the sump.

Alastair

I'm not incorrect, you have just misunderstood me. I know the ecu temp sensor is a blue 2 pin plug, it is common knowledge. I actually said the wire has a thicker black plug on the end - which it does - because the single wires have spade connector plugs on the end. It is no where near the sad on a ph2 (although I can't speak for the later motronic engines).

Grimbadger - my sensor was in the right place, but I don't think it matters what orientation they are in. But like I said, graham has posted photos showing a dizzy end view of 3 different engines showing the 3 different places the sensor can be located in.

DirtyFlare
But like I said, graham has posted photos showing a dizzy end view of 3 different engines showing the 3 different places the sensor can be located in.

Thanx for the replies guys but can anyone link me to this topic as i cant seem to find it

GLPoomobile
Thanx for the replies guys but can anyone link me to this topic as i cant seem to find it

Well I've had a quick search on Pugtorque's posts and cannot find it. I know i'm not imagining it, so maybe it was someone else who posted the pictures.

Mind you, I don't trust the search engine on here ;) It is showing suprisingly few posts from Pugtorque in the last 6 months, which I'm sure cannot be right. And plenty of times I have searched for my own topics and drawn a blank, or used key words that I know exist in a topic and I get nothing. Something very screwy going on :D

DirtyFlare

I dont like to drag old posts back up but i am none the wiser which sensor i should be replacing.

Could some please post a picture of the sensor or a blown up view of it from the parts cd (i have looked back cant seem to find it)

Hopefully i can get my starting problems sorted.

welshpug
25-02-07_2220.jpg

pug_ham

3822thermo_housings.jpg

Graham.

GLPoomobile
3822thermo_housings.jpg

Graham.

If I'm not mistaken, the above picture shows that on a Ph2 the ECU temp sensor sits at the back, facing the bulkhead, and NOT under the dizzy. Which is exactly what I said in the first place.

But oh no, I must be wrong! Because I'm the great GLPoomobile, speaker of s*it and great topic subvertor. Never trust anything this tosser says :) (sometimes I curse this reputation I have managed to bring upon myself :P ).

You can all merrily suck my balls now :D

Thanks for the pic Graham.

Edited by GLPoomobile

pug_ham

TBH Steve, that picture isn't 100% correct. I've worked on several phase 2 cars ranging from late 1990 - 1993 & they have mostly had a thermostat housing that was a mix of the phase 1 & 2. Water temp senders at the back & the coolant Temp sender housing which has the small hose from the thermostat outlet. First time I saw a proper phase 2 one was on NickR's old GTi-S.

The normal pug parts bin fitment imo.

Graham.

GLPoomobile

Yeah, sorry about my reply above :P Been a bit stressed out recently so I'm getting ultra nippy about the smallest of things.

You talk sense as usual Graham. Bloody french engineers! Sometimes I don't think they actually used Phases, but rather it depends on what day of the week they made your 205 as to what parts you'll find!

I know that on some models (Ph1.5?) the ECU Temp Sender is mounted into a seperate bracket mounted to coolant distribution block thingy. It's under the dizzy and near the SAD so that's obviously what Alastair and Grim Badger must have been on about. Me being a c*nt as usual :):D

I'll get me coat.

Grim.Badger
I know that on some models (Ph1.5?) the ECU Temp Sender is mounted into a seperate bracket mounted to coolant distribution block thingy. It's under the dizzy and near the SAD so that's obviously what Alastair and Grim Badger must have been on about. Me being a c*nt as usual :(:D

Sorry GL, you are right there; I have checked my car (engine from a J reg), my old engine (H reg) and a scrapyard car (G reg) and they all have the ECU temp sensor on the water distribution block as you said :D

I have however seen one on an E(?) reg that was on the termostat housing facing forwards.

DirtyFlare

I have now found where the ecu temperature is located on my phase 2 1.6, thanx for the help but....

there is nothing plugged into the sensor :D so could some1 please give me some guidance as to how i can trace it back to somewhere so that if it is still there i can find it

I'm not barking up the wrong tree and the ecu temp sensor is the one circled below?

noecutemp.jpg

nick

To be 100%certain, run the car up to temperature, unplug each sensor one by one, only one will stall the engine, thats the ECU temp sensor.

Nick

DirtyFlare

cheers for the reply nick but Anthony answered my question in another post whilst trying to identify a random connection.

it turned out that a previous numpty owner had put the connector for the ecu temp sensor into the sad and the sad connector into a random red connector :D

Sign in to follow this