• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yeti-dj

A Rattling Mi16 Exhaust Manifold

yeti-dj

as the topic suggests i was sure my mi16 exhaust downpipe was rattling on the subframe but have since fitted a new downpipe that misses it by about 2 cm all round but i still have a right pain of a rattle when driving it and really badly when dropping gears.

I have a re-angled manifold, anybody ever seen one of the exhaust manifold pipes come loose and rattle or got any other suggestions?

yeti

chownr

Yeti

There is a cpative nut and thread for the heatshield (drivers side of manifold) that sometimes fouls the downpipe under stress. Just cut the thread off short and this will probably solve it

Rich

VisaGTi16v

The baffles in my old rear box went and made a horrendous noise when driving at certain revs however when I took it off the car and shook it you couldnt hear anything, different box went back on and noise went (well most of it, still have other rattles!)

ming

yeah, i'm trying to locate a similar noise which is also at it's worst as revs drop changing down. mine is a very rasping sound which sounds a lot like it's blowing but it's recently been resealed and passes the blocking-tailpipe

test.i have heard various areas of the heatshield can rattle so i'm trying to narrow it down.

might be worth looking at one or two other possible rattling points we've found - alternator tensioner/pulley or the actual mounts themselves. also the rubber 'buffers' both sides of the engine mounts have been 'chirping' lately. a washer and some wd 40 seems to sort that.

very frustrating. makes the car sound like a massive tool box on wheels, reducing driver satisfaction.

Sign in to follow this