• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
j-16

Adjusting Gaz Coilovers?

j-16

Hey Guys,

I've fitted Gaz coilovers (10" 200lb) recently but I'm having problems with adjusting the height.

Basically the below pics show the ride height with the adjustment collar wound right down to the stop.....and it's high! Far too high!

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

Is it possible I've done something wrong or should I have chosen 8" springs possibly?

By the way my entire front suspension has recently been renewed, I'm also using group N rubbers.

Cheers,

James

Edited by j-16

tom_m

the springs will sag slightly as the are broken in, but if you want it lower then yes a shorter spring would be a good idea.

skeggyrik

This can't be right. At least i hope not as I've just received some 10" 200lb springs for my coilovers.

KYEPAN fitted them with no issues and had plenty of room to lower them further. I seem to rember asking him the question.

Will search out the thread....

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...0&hl=kyepan

Seems he had lots to play with on the shock body when it came to lowering.......

Have you got the top mounts seated correctly? I remeber seeing a few posts when people had issues with things not sitting right, usully just the one side high, so a more obvious issue with one top mount....

Might be worth checking you've got it right.

In my opinion it should go lower.

Edited by skeggyrik

Normski

This is exactly what happened to me when I fitted my Gaz coilovers with the 10'' springs (200lb). With the adjustment collar at the bottom the car sat far too high, just as in the above pictures. I returned the springs and got 8'' (275lb) ones (from rally design).

Now the car sits where I wanted it (collar ~20mm from the bottom), it's similar to a -40mm lowering spring.

skeggyrik
This is exactly what happened to me when I fitted my Gaz coilovers with the 10'' springs (200lb). With the adjustment collar at the bottom the car sat far too high, just as in the above pictures. I returned the springs and got 8'' (275lb) ones (from rally design).

Now the car sits where I wanted it (collar ~20mm from the bottom), it's similar to a -40mm lowering spring.

You're kidding me. :):o

I've got a set of 275lb 8 inch springs that came with the coilovers I bought.

Thinking these might be on the stiff side for mostly road use I wanted to go for a set of 200lb springs.

After reading the above linked thread and asking the question about "how low can you go" with the 10" springs, I went for set of 10" 200lb springs. There's even a post in the thread about 8 inch being too short, with them dropping out of the spring pan.

KYEPAN are you still about these parts? Can you shed any further light as you are running 10" 200lb springs on the gaz coilovers. Got any pics showing how low your car sits?

JerseyPug you also had a set of 200lb springs after first trying the 275lb springs if I remember right.

Not happy if the pics above will be the end result on my car at the lowest setting. :):D

Anyone else care to set the record straight?

I Should really get mine fitted and see!! But I keep inventing new things to do before they go on! ;)

Normski
You're kidding me. :):o

Nope.

The thing about the 8'' springs is that they will need a short helper spring if the car is to pass an MOT (or you could just wind up the ride height for the test), because at full droop the spring isn't held compressed slightly.

j-16

Think I'm going to try the 8" 180lb springs. The guy who sell the kits on ebay also sells springs seperately @ £15 each - wcg869

kyepan

Hi there guys,

Finding it really odd that some of you are having issues with the 10 inch springs.

When on 8 inch springs i had to wind them up quite high to get anywhere near normal ride height.

Took this photo today about an hour ago, this is on 10 inch with about an inch of adjustment below and three inches above.

Image074.jpg

Unless we don't have the same coil over, i can't think why your ride height is different, assuming it's been put together correctly. anyone else got any ideas?

One other thing, is that when you put it down to rest or when you have driven it around for a bit, as usually suspension sits high when its just been dropped and takes a short move to settle..

let us know how you get on.

skeggyrik

Thanks Kyepan, put my mind at rest a bit. That looks much better and with adjustment to spare. That's more like what I expected.

J-16: that's the guy I got the coilovers from and the second set of springs. Thought I was about to order a third pair! Looks like we have a conflict of opinion here though.. Keep me posted on what you end up doing.

Normski: The whole MOT failure, spring dropping out of the pan issue, is the reason I went for the 10" springs. Saves having to go the helper spring route.

I should get my lot back together in the next couple of weeks as I now have all the bits I needed. Will let you know how I get on. Hopefully will be looking like Kyepan's when done...

Craigb

It may be easier if someone takes a photo of their set up with a wheel off . In that way you will have something to compare to .

tom_m

what rate are your springs kyepan?

skeggyrik
what rate are your springs kyepan?

He's running 200lb springs iirc.

He changed them after fingding the 275lb 8" springs too much at the front.

Edited by skeggyrik

j-16

Hi,

Just been out, taken a few more pics and stripped my suspension back down.

Measured the spring and it is indeed 10" 200lb.

DSC00091.jpg

Not sure which way up the rubber donut needs to be? Looks like one way up would make the suspension sit higher. I wonder if this is what I have done wrong?

DSC00095.jpg

Either way have some new 8" 200lb springs arriving tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on.

tom_m

well from the first picture it looks like you've got a further inch more adjustment lower? mine certainly wound right down to the drop link brackets.

and you want the rubbers in the top mount like the one on the left in your picture

j-16
well from the first picture it looks like you've got a further inch more adjustment lower? mine certainly wound right down to the drop link brackets.

and you want the rubbers in the top mount like the one on the left in your picture

Cheers, yeah the collar does wind right down to the bracket which is how it was set in the first pics.

tom_m
Cheers, yeah the collar does wind right down to the bracket which is how it was set in the first pics.

cool, but even having the rubber thing upside down won't account for an inch of ride height :blush:

Rippthrough

I don't know if it's the photo but it looks like the droplink bracket is welded onto the threaded area?

Rippthrough
It is!

That can't be right, surely, never noticed anything like that while over @ dampertech?

It'd go down another inch otherwise? That plus top mounts would sort it?

Who did you get them off? Get me a bigger picture as I might see dave tommorow.

Edited by Rippthrough

j-16

The coilovers are direct from Brian Gazzard via one of his guys (I guess) on ebay.

Close up of bracket welded to bottom of threads:

DSC00097_edited.jpg

I've now fitted the 8" 200lb springs and this is the result, I still have about 2" to play with if i want the car any lower but at this height the spring is tight with the top mount even when jacked so should be ok for MOT:

DSC00100.jpg

Not had a drive yet but at this height the damper still has some room to work and the spring doesn't look like its going to become coil bound.

Rippthrough
The coilovers are direct from Brian Gazzard via one of his guys (I guess) on ebay.

DSC00097_edited.jpg

I've now fitted the 8" 200lb springs and this is the result, I still have about 2" to play with if i want the car any lower but at this height the spring is tight with the top mount even when jacked so should be ok for MOT:

DSC00100.jpg

Not had a drive yet but at this height the damper still has some room to work and the spring doesn't look like its going to become coil bound.

Try it and see, but I'll have a word with dave about that, as I can't see that being welded up right.

j-16

Sorry, who's Dave - does he work at Dampertech?

Maybe the guy on ebay is selling seconds, the pair of struts however are perfect mirror images of each other.

Cheers,

skeggyrik

Glad you got it sorted. I'll take a look at mine tonight and report back on the position of the bracket as I got mine form the same chap.

I'll measure the height of the bracket from the bottom of the shock on my coilovers. It could just be that the threaded part on the casing goes further down on your set?

I Will have to wait and see how I get on when I fit mine. Got lots to do first though.

Just checked the weather for the weekend of work I planned and its not good :)

I want a nice big double garage :P

tom_m

DSC00097_edited.jpg

well thats certainly not right!!! i'd have a word if i were you! :P

I did hear that Gaz were only selling off old stock on ebay not current lines, I'm not sure how true this is tho, might be worth asking?

if i were to hazzard a guess i'd say that was a factory second, but surely they'd have had to advertise it like that? :)

Sign in to follow this