• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edp

Mi16 Using Water

Edp

As per the title. We took a run over to Ikea in croydon yesterday, the car performed superb as usual on the run over, hammering a fiesta st in the process, but the problems started as soon as I restarted the car on the way back. I started the car and sat in traffic waiting to get out of the busy car park. We both smelt a kind of burning smell and having had a engine fire with a 8v a few years back I jumped out and checked the bonnet. No problems under there but when I got back in I saw a cloud of steam from somewhere in the car. This disappeared straight away.

Meanwhile the temp gauge was steadily rising. I recently removed the silly slow/fast resistor from the car so the twin fans come on as soon as the temp hits about 90 (bx dials). The gauge went all the way round to the light (didn't come on) with both the heater on full blast and the twin fans on. Long story short we made it home and I had to put 3 bottles of coolant in, there was non in the header tank!! I only topped it up a week ago and the car is only used at weekends.

Today I had the car up in the air with the engine running and it is bone dry (for a 205) No leaks, radiator is fairly new and there was no steam coming from this. Now if the heater matrix was leaking would I have puddles or would there be a chance the matrix 'burns' of the leaking coolant? The engine was rebuilt by QEP less than 8k ago.

By the way there was plenty of mayo in the oil cap but non on the dipstick or header tank. I also drained the water out and rebled the system, the water was very clean.

Any ideas?

Cheers Ed

Edited by Edp

Discostu

Thats an odd one, i had a heater matrix go in mine and it soaked the floor/carpets so i think u'd know if it was that :blink:

Has the water boiled and left via the header tank overflow?

Edited by Discostu

cossie350

If it was the matrix i would think you would have puddles as it using a fair bit of water, also if you set the control's to the screen it would mist up because of the steam from the hot water. If there is definatly no leaks sounds like head gasket. Fill it up and leave it ticking over with the header tank cap off and see if it pushes the water out of the header tank this will tell you if the gasket has gone between a water way and bore also it would have a hell of a lot of condensation out the exhuast.

jim205GTI

Rather then being the matrix which would generally leave wet carpets...Could it be that one off the water pipes in the engine bay has split?, and its leaking from there? get the engine running and have a look underneath and see if there is any water leaking from the pipes...

Edited by jim205GTI

pug_ham
when I got back in I saw a cloud of steam from somewhere in the car. This disappeared straight away.
Moisture on the radiator that burns off when the thermostat opens & the rad gets hot enough imo, no cause for concern.

If the heater matrix is leaking the footwell carpet (usually driver side) will be wet & when you smell your hand it should be obvious if its antifreeze. If in doubt taste it. (Have a glass of water handy to swill your mouyh out though as it taste horrid).

If the head gasket is going the water pipes could be solid as the cooling system is being pressurised.

Graham.

Guest BrainFluid

Sounds like you have a small split in one of your hoses to be honest. When the car has fully warmed up the hoses become much more pliable and with the pressure of the water system it will start squirting water out of the hole.

I suggest you run the engine to a good temp and just check and check and check untill you find the hose which is leaking...

Oh...What condition is your metal pipe in also?

Edp

The metal pipe is brand new, I had to make a bespoke bottom pipe up as citroen no longer make that pipe up with the 't' piece to the oil cooler.

From what I can see there are no leaks underneath as I ran it up temp when the fans kick in and looked underneath.

I took the header cap off and the water bubbled over, is this a sign of head gasket? None of the pipes are solid.

The carpets aren't damp in any way.

TaffyTim

Ive had the same issue (not the water bubbling out of the header tank) since Ive had my head gasket done!!

I get alot of Mayo in the filler and I loose coolant through no obvious means, although it has slowed down since i put Barrs Leaks into the coolant, maybe you could try some of that?

Ive got a new set of water pipes and a new radiator on order as a more permanant fix. I'll let you know if they help the problem.

Another issue that i get that you might (if we have the same issue) is when accelerating hard from the 2000ish rev range my low coolant warning light comes until i back off the accelerator a tad. Do you suffer with this?

Edited by TaffyTim

Guest BrainFluid
From what I can see there are no leaks underneath as I ran it up temp when the fans kick in and looked underneath.

I took the header cap off and the water bubbled over, is this a sign of head gasket? None of the pipes are solid.

You will have to get your hands in there and run them over all the coolant hoses whilst moving them about. The hoses jiggle around when the car is moving but they dont at standstill. I had a leaky hose that only squirted out coolant when it was bent a certain way.

What do you mean by 'bubbling over' ? If you open any cars header tank when warm and full of coolant the coolant will spill over the top...but bubbling?

Unlikly the head gasket as like PugTorque says this would pressurise the system and the hoses would be rock solid.

Edp
What do you mean by 'bubbling over' ? If you open any cars header tank when warm and full of coolant the coolant will spill over the top...but bubbling?

I thought that too :) not really bubbling as such but like you say running out.

Taffy my light dosent come on at all. The car performs really well, its just using more water than it ever has before. I will try some leak stuff to see if that helps but I would prefer to find what the root cause is.

taylorspug

I presume you bled the system through when you refilled the coolant Ed?

maxi

Ed, try catch me on MSN tonight. I would say it must have something to do with the heater matrix if you had a puff of steam in the car. Have you noticed the car smoking at all out of the exhaust pipe?

Maxi

Guest BrainFluid
I will try some leak stuff to see if that helps

Dont you dare! It will only ruin your engine in the long run!!! Fill the coolant , bleed the bugger, and find that sodding leak!!!

Edp
I presume you bled the system through when you refilled the coolant Ed?

Yeah I did that Sunday after it got hot. I hoped it might be a air block but its used water again in a 25 minute local journey.

Ed, try catch me on MSN tonight. I would say it must have something to do with the heater matrix if you had a puff of steam in the car. Have you noticed the car smoking at all out of the exhaust pipe?

Maxi

No smoke at all. You get the usual exhaust smoke when I first start it and leave it to idle when its been freezing but if its mild no smoke what so ever.

Dont you dare! It will only ruin your engine in the long run!!! Fill the coolant , bleed the bugger, and find that sodding leak!!!

Thats me told :) I did say this afterwards though "but I would prefer to find what the root cause is" ;)

Ed

Simes

Have you recently changed your expansion tank lid?

I had problems with mine losing water, no leaks all new hoses but losing about a 1L every 400miles.

I put the old lid back on and she's been fine since.

Edp

I've found the problem.

I started the engine and checked everywhere. Squeezed all the obvious hoses. Took the dash panel off to access the heater matrix pipes. Let the car get relly hot and checked everything again. Nothing....

Took the car out for a quick spin to the card shop for a valentines card for the missus and drove home. Left the car running until the fan kicked in and got down under the car 'again' and checked this time I spotted drips dropping from the drivers side driveshaft. I drove the car up the ramps and saw the water coming from the hose which attaches to the metal hose that is on the back of the head. It only leaks a few drops but thats all it needs.

Conclusion, new jubilee clip :) (when it stops raining)

taylorspug

Glad you got it sorted mate!

jim205GTI

Well done.........least it is only that rather then the matrix :blink:

TaffyTim

Glad to hear you found the problem. Sorry for causing such alarm with my Barrs Leak short term fix option :blink:

Sign in to follow this