• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt-k

Solid Engine Mounts!

matt-k

Hello again, Ive just been looking at a solid alluminium lower rear engine mount for my 1.9 mi16. Does anyone know if they could damage the engine as surely there made of rubber originally for a purpose? I have seen uprated rubber ones for sale but there twice the price off the solid ones. Can you please share your views on these as i have to buy one or the other and the cheeper the better really but not if it puts too much stress on the block!!

Thanks again for any info on this, this site's saved me much head scratching!

shine

No risk at all to have lower mount in solid material, but I prefer to use the 2 others in hard rubber(gp N or A), to avoid to much vibrations.

One benefit to use lower mount solid is that gear rods will not "lock" under hard aceleration (BE1 box), as engine does not tilt by the power.

Miles

The lower Group 'N' mount from BBM on here is quite cheap I thought at £26.00 + P&P so getting one for £13.00 is very cheap indeed.

The solid one's what ever material they are made from doesn;t effect the engine at all, Just put's more strain on the drivetrain as this takes the shock instead of the mount's

C_W

I would be more worried about the shell with solid mounts than the engine.

Richie-Van-GTi

As above really, drivetrain takes the punishment. they were made from rubber purposely yes, to minimise vibrations in car and make the ride more comfortable.

matt-k

Thanks alot lads, that answers my question and cheers Miles for the heads up on BBM ive checked out the web site and will be placeing an order soon, they even do the hoses i need!

Cheers Matt

kyepan

apart from damage.. which i would not know about.

I've had changed from non solid to solid mounts in two cars, and it vibrates so much i can't hear the lovely MI induction roar as well, just a personal opinion, but i may pop for a replacement rubber one rather than the solid rubber group ... whichever,that i have now.

Plus the girfriend was ok to ride in it before, now she gets crabby after about 10 minutes.. my driving doesn't help to be honest.

205_sunderland

a litle off topic but my girlfriend used to love the vibrations of grp n mounts lol

Ahl
a litle off topic but my girlfriend used to love the vibrations of grp n mounts lol

lol! :D

Sign in to follow this