• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest donny206

Expert Help Please

Guest donny206

Hi i have 206 that had dodgy brakes and thought you guys were probably a good place to ask!

Its a 1.6 16V Chassis so has the same brakes as the 206 GTI, ive had to change the pedal box for one off a lower engined 206 to get rid of the hydraulic clutch for the turbo conversion, this has left the brake travel going to the floor and very soft, it does brake and just about lock up but feels very wrong!

Can anyone help with what i can do to help this matter? Im also going to be fitting 306 GTI-6 front brakes if that helps anything, i dont know what master cylinder etc i would need if any to change?

Thank you

Simon

sonofsam

Hi Simon,

Is the turbo converson in place then? Do you still run servo assistance?

I had to fit a one-way valve in the servo hose leading onto the manifold when I installed my turbo engine, otherwise the brake pedal feel ws very weird indeed, much as you described.

Have you given them a good bleed also?

Sam.

pug_ham

Is the master cylinder from the lower spec model a different size to the one fitted originally? That could explain the difference in pedal travel.

If its the same then maybe you need to bleed the brakes fully again like Sam suggests.

Graham.

Guest donny206

Right i have changed the brake master cylinder to one of a 2.0 306 and bleed the brakes and still the same! When bleeding them in they became very solid but now not at all! alot softer then the accelerator! The one way valve sounds good!

The car has completed the conversion yeah! Are those valves readily available and will most motor factors sell them?

sonofsam

Well, it cured my problem!

In a turbo manifold you have vaccuum( like normal), but as soon as it comes on boost you have pressure! And the servo cannot operate as normal.

What the one-way valve ( check valve ) does is only allow the vacuum part to be stored in the servo, thats what I was told anyway.

I purchased my valve from an ebay shop selling equipment for fish ponds/tanks etc( its only a plastic one), but can be bought from plumber suppliers also, it was to fit an 8mm inner diameter hose and was a great fit, and solved the problem.

but yes I know what you mean about brake pedal feel, although they work, its not spongy as such, cant quite put my finger on the word.

Hopefully the one-way valve should sort it, did mine.

Sign in to follow this