• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Zed

Caliper Fouling On Droplink

Zed

Slowly running through my neverending list of things that need fixing Ive got to this one..

basically when turning left a grumbling noise can be heard and slight vibrations through the steering wheel felt. Taking off the drivers side wheel and scratching my head for a long while I noticed the caliper is fouling ever so slightly on the droplink when the wheel turns left.

The droplink doesnt look bent in any way and im struggling to find an answer why it is fouling, it has been like this since an mi16 has been put in so im assuming something isnt alligned right.....are droplinks identicle or are they individual for specific side of car ?

Ill try and take some pictures tonight if some smart individual hasnt already offered a solution.

Many Thanks for any help.

Phil.

EDIT: car info: standard calipers & discs/streetline suspension/ 1.9 mi on extended bottom mount.

Edited by Zed

VisaGTi16v

Havent managed to bolt it in from the wrong side have you? The bolt goes in the back and sticks out torwards you if you were looking at it. Pretty sure it would be impossible to do this but you never know :) Also mi's with extended bottom mounts are not a good idea, keep that oil topped up!

Zed

and theres the obligatory extended mount comment :). bottom mount is #24 on my list of things to fix.

VisaGTi16v

Just a comment! :)

pug_ham

From the sound of your problem, it does seem you might have fitted the struts on the wrong sides, the drop link mount should be behined the strut & no where near the caliper which is in front.

Graham.

Alastairh

Yes thinking about it Graham is spot on, as always :lol:

Heres a pic of the drivers side suspension on my 205 - click

Alastair

Zed

Im a tit!. sorry when i thought back to taking the wheel off I mistakenly thought it was the caliper coming round and catching....looking at the pic posted it all came back to me...

its not the caliper. The bolt at the bottom of the strut that sits just infront of the middle of the droplink is catching as it rotates round!.

from memory my droplink sits at a slight angle...not like the one in the pic thats verticle.

I need to go take my wheel off and get pics i think...

Edit: when i originally took the wheel off to take a look I backed the top of the droplink off a bit with some washers as a temp fix, it still catches slightly though.

Edited by Zed

pug_ham

The bolt through the hub clamping the strut has to be fitted with the head aft so it clears as shown in Alistairs picture.

An easy mistake, although there have been some people who have fitted the struts on the wrong side before. :lol:

Graham.

Sign in to follow this