• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RAF_gti

Gosh! Another Suspension Question

RAF_gti

Another day, another suspension questions.

I called the local dealership today to enquire about shocks and springs and was told that there are three different springs available, ranging from £40ea to £90ea! The (v helpfull) parts guy couldn't give me more info about then though apart from they are identifiable by coloured markings on the coil.

Does anybody know the differences on these springs?

Or is it just a glitch in the system?

Steve

jonnie205

Whats wrong with your springs

Grim.Badger

Probably not of much use but I raised the same question a while back here

Each of the springs on this page will be for a different injection engined 205, and just to add to the confusion the pahse twos had even more choice look!

I'd say you're best going to GSF or similar as I doubt any Peugoet dealership will know which you need.

On the plus side though original springs will apparently be good for decades unless they are corroded :)

RAF_gti

Nothing much wrong that I can tell at the moment but they do have 140000 miles on them so I'm looking to freshen the suspension up. Unfortunatley I can't decide between standard or uprated :lol:

There is a helluva lot of corrosion on them!

Steve

Sandy

Eibachs are only slightly uprated and work well with little or no loss of ride quality.

Grim.Badger
Nothing much wrong that I can tell at the moment but they do have 140000 miles on them so I'm looking to freshen the suspension up. Unfortunatley I can't decide between standard or uprated :D

There is a helluva lot of corrosion on them!

Are they actually pitted or is it just surface rust?

RAF_gti

TBH I would say it is just surface rust, I havn't had the chance to really scrubthem up yet. The left rear shock is always showing signs of leaking so whilst I am feeling flush I may as well upgrade the entire suspension.

Steve

Grim.Badger

TBH my old diesel seemed to benefit from new springs, but it was likely just the effect of good quality shocks; both were standard ratings. GSF and Eurocarparts etc do springs for about £50 a pair so it won't exactly break the bank but I'm not sure there would be any difference to the old springs. Knowing GSF theirs are likely to be O.E. items anyway so it's worth phoning or making an electronic enquiry.

Corrosion is only a problem if it's pitting as this will weaken the spring and cause it to fail with potentially disasterous results.

I'm only really saying a lot of this as I know you may well change to uprated springs at some point and there isn't much point getting new ones now if they will be the same as the old ones and are likely to be binned soon anyway.

I'd definitely change the shocks though as my OSF shock was leaking when I got the car and the handling is much better since I changed it.

jonnie205

Right i would go for go out and buy a complete koni kit or bilsteil sprintline, the GSF shocks and springs are never oe quality in my experiance and dont last that well. Std rear shocks are best so i would get some good used rears and fit uprated stuff up frony. The koni rears are too hard and the billies too soft

Sign in to follow this