• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugbliss

Low Mpg

pugbliss

Hi ive just worked out that im only getting 28 mpg.....now im not wizz mechanic but im sure thats too low.

i mainly do motorways as thats where my job is but surly 28pmg is low, could a hole in my exhgust contribut tho this????

please help

its slowly burning a hole in my pocket....litrely

sutol
could a hole in my exhgust contribut tho this????

Depending on where it is , a hole in the exhaust usualy improves MPG as the driver uses a light throttle to keep the noise down.

I would think that on busy motorways that 28 was resonable considering all the speeding up and slowing down that is done, it's often as bad as off motorway stuff.

I presume that you stick to speed limits and don't cane it too much :):P

It's not exactly FLAT around Bradford is it ??

Edited by sutol

Anthony

Do a search as this has been covered more than your average ABBA song :)

• Replace the ECU temperature sensor (when these fail the ECU runs in cold-start enrichment all the time)
  • Check the TPS is set correctly and working (if it's not, you'll have no fuel cut on overrun)
  • Check that the ignition timing is setup correctly (retarded for boggo unleaded hurts economy)
  • Check that the vacuum advance is connected and working (hurts economy on cruise)
  • Try another known-good AFM (lots have been messed with or just don't fuel properly)

Try that for starters...

pugbliss

well my hole is in the centre box........ and i usually do between 80-90 on the motorway cos its at night.

where is the ecu temp sensor ???

ignition timing is spot on

tps is working

vacume advance is conected but not sure if working ( how would i tell)

afm as far as i know if good but what would i know...... ill try get another but how would i know if its a good one????????

jim205GTI

Judging by some posts thats seems an average when i was running my 1.9 8v i think that was what i averaged but i wasn't that fussed what i got...... had too much fun and a heavy right foot

Lillpete

my Mi16 205 was only getting 22mpg when I got it due to the AFM making it run rich, now thats sorted I get 35 every tank :)

number2301

At 80-90mph I'd say that's about right.

GLPoomobile
At 80-90mph I'd say that's about right.

Exactly. Optimum should be between 56-70mph.

Under the circumstances I'd say 28mpg would be about right. Doubt you have any major problems, other than an old engine that doesn't run quite as well as it did in it's youth.

mickie

i get 84 miles for 10 quid on about 83p at the petrol station..

that about right?

Rob_the_Sparky

28 is OK but could be better, 33-35 is possible but clearly depends on the driver as well as the car.

pugbliss

right well ive got a new exaust on and filled the tank, and zeroed the tach.....

as it stands

£41.92 ltr-95ron fuel

@ £83.9p

now this was at the petrol light flickering so i will see how it all pans out when i need to refuel.

Hopefully i will reep the rewards in £ now ive a new pipe on...

you should of seen my old one...dirts dark big hole in the centre box,,,not nice and sounded like an APC.

Sign in to follow this