• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest markiboy2007

1.9 Gti Cut Out Dead And Will Turn Over All Day But Not Start.

Guest markiboy2007

i was sitting in neutral coasting along the other day when the car just cut out dead.

pulled into a bus stop, and tried to start but it wouldnt go, sounds like it would turn over all day, but wont start.

immediately i think its fuel related, getting a spark etc.

i listened for the fuel pump with my mate crking the engine and i couldnt hear anything, changed the pump over, still nothing, fuel lines completely dry and no noise from the pump.

two other things that i can think of are the fuel pump relay and the fuse??

which fuse is it for the fuel pump, and would the relay beig faulty cause it to just cut out dead like that??

i have done a search by the way but cand find anything that exacty matches my problem.

any help much appreciated

cheers

mark

j_turnell

Sounds like the tachy relay located under the dash next to the ECU, its a small black box, a common failiure.

Guest markiboy2007

thanks mate, ive located the relay and can hear it clicking on crank, could it still be faulty even if its clicking on when i crank the engine?

what fuse is used for the fuel pump?

how noisy is the fuel pump a 205, can u normally hear it when cranking the engine?

ony thing i can think is that my replacement fuel pump is fulty as well, if not the relay.

if i am getting 12v to the pump, does that mean the relay is ok??

Guest markiboy2007

update.

just measured the voltage on crank across the terminals on the fuel pump multiplug, and im getting just short of 6volts ????

any ideas??

Rob_the_Sparky

If that is 6V without the pump attached then you have your problem. Attach a load (e.g. the pump) and this will drop to nothing.

As said it is probably the tachy relay, think someone on here opened up a dead one and fixed it with a soldering iron. Worth a try if you are handy at electrics...

Rob

Guest markiboy2007

ok thanks for the help, that is 6v without the pump attached, i dont feel too confident taking the relay apart so will probably pick one up from gsf on friday, hopefully this will solve the problem!!!

hengti

you can test the pump by running 12v directly from the battery; can't remember which terminal is +ve and which is -ve (try a search), but this'll give you a definitive verdict on the pump - it should be obvious if it's working as it makes a 'hissing' noise as it brings up the pressure

hth

Ahl

If you search for 'tachymetric' you should find details of the wire/terminal numbers for the fuel pump and injectors.

You can then bridge these on the tachy relay socket - if the car then starts then you know thats what it is.

Guest markiboy2007

ok ive had a look about but im not the bst at uerstanding thigs lol, is there simply 2 terminals on the relay socket that i would bridge which would keep the pump on continuously??? if so which terminals??

soory for the confusion and thatnks again for the help!

Ahl

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...st&p=292871

Wires 76 and 18 need to be connected to a live. One of the terminals is a constant live on the socket, though I can't remember which one. Use a multimeter to find out.

You're right in that the fuel pump will run continuously, so this is just for testing or a get-me-home repair.

Guest markiboy2007

ok sorry for sonding like a complete idio here, but the wire nubers i dont understand, i have terminals number 1,2,3 etc on the relay socket?? sorry for bein daft and thanks again!!

Guest markiboy2007

update guys, i went down to the car, bridge the pins on the relay socket, ky in, ignition 2, disarm the immobiliser, and the fuel pump started!!!

can i now safely say that the tachymetric relay is at fault?

thanks for the help!

:)

Ahl

YIZ!

Congradualsions! :)

Sign in to follow this