• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bitchass 205

Rear Hub Nuts

bitchass 205

Right, i have found the right sized socket for above mentioned nut, and i have removed the little silver cap. I have tried to turn the nut bur no joy. Am i just being a big girl or do i need to do something else? I think i remember the haynes saying thar it is "staked", what does this mean and what do i remove if it is?

Thanks

Michael.

Anthony

Just use a breaker bar - that's all I do and they come undone fine :lol:

steve@cornwall
Right, i have found the right sized socket for above mentioned nut, and i have removed the little silver cap. I have tried to turn the nut bur no joy. Am i just being a big girl or do i need to do something else? I think i remember the haynes saying thar it is "staked", what does this mean and what do i remove if it is?

Thanks

Michael.

Fun aren't they? Staked nuts have at least one part of the outer "collar" of the nut "knocked in" to lock the nut in place. In theory hitting the flattened/tabbed-in part of the nut in the opposite direction releases it, but often the nut is so deformed it's virtually impossible to undo.. knock back the tab and use a 2foot plus breaker bar to undo. If you don't have the ruddy 1.6 wheels on I find it useful to remove the wheel centre cap to work through and undo the nut with the car on all 4 wheels.You're supposed to always use a new nut when removing them too.

Edited by steve@cornwall

GLPoomobile

It means that there is a recess which the the hub nut can be punched or peened in to. If you look at the nut you wll be able to see if it has been punched in at one point. It's so that the nut cannot work itself loose.

Depending on how it has been done, it can be a right pain to knock this little 'lip' back out, but I think if you apply enough pressure you can twist the nut undone even with it still staked in. Chances are you just really need to get your back in to it and apply more force. You need a good breaker bar and a piece of pipe (like scaffold pipe, the sort of thing we all have lying around our back gardens..... not!) to give you more leverage.

1...2...3...heave!

pugbliss

hello again.... you still having probs?????

i dont have any pis to hand but im sure someone else will have and post them up,

if you look at he nut (whith the wheel removed of course) you will see it has a sort of grve/chip in 1 side of it and somthing will have been pushed/hit/banged into it (staked) all you have to do is get a cold chisle or large screw driver and push/hammer it back out . With this banged out you should be able to remove the nut in question.

As i said i bet someone on here has pics and if you take a look you prob see what i mean.

joe

GLPoomobile
i dont have any pis to hand

I'm not sure he wants your urine :)

:P

bitchass 205
hello again.... you still having probs?????

i dont have any pis to hand but im sure someone else will have and post them up,

if you look at he nut (whith the wheel removed of course) you will see it has a sort of grve/chip in 1 side of it and somthing will have been pushed/hit/banged into it (staked) all you have to do is get a cold chisle or large screw driver and push/hammer it back out . With this banged out you should be able to remove the nut in question.

As i said i bet someone on here has pics and if you take a look you prob see what i mean.

joe

Hi, yes i gave it a go at the weekend and couldn't budge it, shall try again tonight. Are you requiring handbrake cables as well? i don't need them and will only throw them away, not sure whether they were replaced as part of teh rear brake over haul but they don't look to bad.

welshpug

just get some elbow grease on it! no need to faff with the staking thing.

if a 10 stone stickman like me can get them undone I'm sure you can :)

quick tip too, to save the need for new nuts swap them to the opposite side of the car, more often than not the groove on the pin will be in a different pint on the nut and you can re-use the nut.

pugpete1108
Hi, yes i gave it a go at the weekend and couldn't budge it, shall try again tonight. Are you requiring handbrake cables as well? i don't need them and will only throw them away, not sure whether they were replaced as part of teh rear brake over haul but they don't look to bad.

hello mate still not got it off?, it could be more difficult as the beam is off the car (that is the one you are doing right?) as you cant get proper leverage on it as it will twist , should really have done it before taking it off mate :) .

you need some way of anchoring it so you can get all your weight on the bar to crack it open

smighall

Or if you can get your hands on an impact gun it will come off in seconds.

timmsy19
You need a good breaker bar and a piece of pipe (like scaffold pipe, the sort of thing we all have lying around our back gardens..... not!)

you would be supprised what is about in the local building site that can be used. :)

as said the beam is off the car now that we have just done his rear beam convertion. stop being a little girl about it michael and put your back into it :P

bitchass 205
I'm not sure he wants your urine :)

:P

mmmm......no not really, :P

hello mate still not got it off?, it could be more difficult as the beam is off the car (that is the one you are doing right?) as you cant get proper leverage on it as it will twist , should really have done it before taking it off mate ;) .

you need some way of anchoring it so you can get all your weight on the bar to crack it open

yes, i guess this is what you call gaining wisdom!!

I'm going to see if i can rob a piece of scaffold pole of the local building site.

Thanks for the replies.

Pugbliss, shall try and get it sorted asap.

Michael.

Sign in to follow this