• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Quick Question About Electric Window Looms

GLPoomobile

One of the guys on here (Mid) needs the passenger side door loom for his electric window install as he is having the H reg problem (the loom is present is the driver's side but not the passenger side!). I have offered to help as I have complete electric window set up left over from my old J reg.

I intend to keep the passenger side loom for myself for when I get around to installing it on my car but don't need the drivers side as I recently fitted a new door which came with an electric motor and loom.

So, am I right in thinking he can just use my spare drivers side loom on his passenger door and simply trim off the redundant plug and wiring?

The only problem I can see, is if he has PH2 connector blocks in the door and pillar rather than the old rubber conduit, because i'd imagine the terminals would have a different layout and may not work. I'm assuming that like me he does not have these, and will have to cut the block off of my loom and splice it into his loom (possibly need to extend it too) back near the fusebox.

Ryan

The driver's side loom is shorter than the passenger side, as the plugs are in different places on each side.

The positions of the wires are also different in the connector to account for the way the passenger window is wired up with a switch on both sides of the car, while the drivers side only has the one switch.

You can remove the individual terminals from the loom and clip them back in in the right order for the passenger side, and you can cut the plug off one end and extend it (only 5wires iirc), but it's probably easier to try and find a passenger side loom.

GLPoomobile
The driver's side loom is shorter than the passenger side, as the plugs are in different places on each side.

The positions of the wires are also different in the connector to account for the way the passenger window is wired up with a switch on both sides of the car, while the drivers side only has the one switch.

You can remove the individual terminals from the loom and clip them back in in the right order for the passenger side, and you can cut the plug off one end and extend it (only 5wires iirc), but it's probably easier to try and find a passenger side loom.

I can sort of see your point but the loom I have is Ph2 so it's the same length on both sides, since it only runs as far as the block inside the door, whereas on earlier cars the loom would go through the door and into the cabin.

I'll have to take a closer look at it and see what needs doing.

Ryan

In that case it's probably just a case of swapping the wires over to the right positions in the connector then.

The diagram in the haynes was good enough for me to do mine, but watch out as the pins on the diagram are not in order - i.e. not 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 from left-right. You'll have to use a multimeter and match the wire numbers.

Sign in to follow this