• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
888rmb

406 2.0 16v Engine

888rmb

On Friday I got given a 2.0 16v engine from a 406. Externally the engine looks similar to a GTi6 engine, except it has a plastic inlet manifold, and the exhaust manifold is not a tubular one.

What is the spec of these engines, are they about 135bhp?

Apart from those external differences, where is the main differences to a gti6 engine, is it in the head?

What would you need to do to the engine to upgrade the power output to somewhere closer to a gti6 power output?

I have a spare gti inlet manifold and throttle body in the shed.

Would this engine be worth fitting in a 205?

rich

i think thats an EW10J4 engine very similar to the 206 gti, i also think the cams and inlet are designed for slightly less peak power and more torque

if so i believe it is possible to fit the gti180 plenum and head to the block without using the vvt and see a decent rise inpower

they are a bit of a job to fit to a 205

welshpug

depends how old the car is, Its more likely to be an XU series engine as you said, especially as it lokks like the GTi6 engine, which the EW certainly doesnt.

with a 6 exhaust fanimold and inlet, and suitable cams it should be a good performer, though form what ive heard the heard casting is similar but not as well finished?

true, if it looks like a 6 engine then it aint an EW

in that case im flummoxed as i dont know of any 2.0 16v fitted to early 406`s only 1.8 16v`s so not sure what engine it is or output!

welshpug

135 bhp XU10J4R, as opposed to the 167 bhp XU10J4RS.

was that 406 only then?

welshpug

nope, t'was also the 306 XSi engine among others.

the later but not very late one then as usually they are 2.0 8v or 1.8 16v or is that the meridian??

i need to brush up!

205_sunderland

think the engines produce 125bhp, there identical on the bottom end to gti6 if i remember right. think basic head is too, just have different cams, manifolds etc

regards mick

Malachy
the later but not very late one then as usually they are 2.0 8v or 1.8 16v or is that the meridian??

i need to brush up!

pre 1996 or phase 1 306 xsi's had the 2.0l 8v engine post 1996 xsi's phase 2/3 had the 2l 16v engine

the phase 2/3 306 XS had the 1.8 16v some some meridians did too although some meridians were diesels and i think some were also 1.6 8v

it is the xu10j4r engine and has 135bhp @5500 rpm and 180nm @4200 rpm

it was also fitted to the 406 between 1996 and 1999 before the EW was released.

engine is very similar to the gti6 although the gti6 boys wont have this as there engines are "special" of course they are ;/

the bottomn end is pretty much the same bar piston spray bars (although some early engines had these anyway). the head is the main difference and thats more down to finish/cams and the valves/springs used in the gti6.

it all depends on how you plan to run it if using aftermarket engine management, gti6cams+manifolds and a mapping session i will expect to see you not far off the gti6 power, considering gti6 cams can be picked up for £50 or so now then could be worthwhile

Edited by Malachy

888rmb

OK thanks everyone. So if I added a gti6 exhaust and inlet manifolds, together with gti6 cams, then would be looking at close on GTI-6 power?

The ECU is missing, so I would have to find something suitable. Any suggestions?

Sandy

Aftermarket ECU I say. Flexibility for future improvements.

Sign in to follow this