• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James_m

Mi16 Not Cranking

James_m

Hey peeps', need some help regarding my mi16 conversion.... got in all ready to go now, except it wont turn over :) Connected the battery this morning, turn key 1 click and all the dash lights up, nice im thinking, turn again to crank and all i get is a click from the fuse box as well as all the dash lights disappearing.

I have a toad AI606 on the car and i suspect due to all the dash lights going when its cranked this is cutting all the power? I know nothing about electrics and even worse alarms, so im pretty much stuck :D any ideas then please post! Btw, i probably should say, this is running motronic 4.1 from a 405 if that makes any difference

Cheers James.

jim205GTI

Is the starter working? The wiring to it good?? could test it by running a wire straight from the positive terminal on the battery to the solenoid :)

Mine was doing this so did the test ... didn't work so tested the starter out the car on a different battery it worked so stuck it back in along with the battery and it turned over..... :D

James_m

Starter was good before, though its been a while....I'll try as you said just to eliminate that problem though. Thing is, the fact all the dash lights disappear leads me to think its alarm related. I know the stereo etc is cut when its cranked, but the dash lights should stay on no?

jackherer

the dash lights are meant to go out while cranking, all 205s do it.

check for 12v at the starter solenoid wire while cranking.

James_m

My bad! I was thinking the stop light stays on and only goes out when there is oil pressure. Oops!

Anyway, thats a relief strange as it sounds, i dont like to mess with alarms too much.

Now ive got the fun of playing with the starter motor with the inlet manifold on and radiator in :D

I'll report back tomorrow, probably asking more questions of why it wont work :D

Duroc

Check the small wire (spade connected) is attached properly to the solenoid aswell.

James_m

Update: I havent looked at the car for a little while, because frankly - i cant be bothered.

Anyway, i bought a multimeter the other day to try and find the problem.

I tried looking for 12v at the starter motor, both terminals against the ring connector part with multimeter in V- mode 200, that the correct way to do it?(all this electrics stuff is new to me....) The reading came back as nothing..... just 0000 on the screen.

I then tried putting both the pins on the multimeter into the end of the spade connecter which attaches to the starter motor in the same mode as before and again, nothing.

So what shall i do next? :) and have i been using the multimeter in the correct way?

Btw, i had an assitant trying to crank the engine whilst i was taking these readings.

Any replies apreciated! Cheers James.

Anthony

You need to connect the two pins on the multimeter between the spade connector and the negative terminal on the battery, and then get someone to turn the key.

You'll probably want something like VDC 20 on the multimeter (basically DC voltage and double digits)

James_m

Cheers Anthony! well, i have 12ish volts at the starter which is good, and the spade connecter certainly is the correct one, because it was showing 0.11(too low?) when i went to crank. Im thinking i have a poor connection on the spade connector, because i did for the first time get a slight click from the solenoid :) and the spade connecter does'nt fit especially well on the starter motor.

James_m

Yep, was a poor connection, squeezed the spade connecter with some pliers, and now it cranks fine.

Does'nt actually run, but thats another story....

Sign in to follow this