• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
inferno

External Or Internal Wastegate

inferno

Ok, turbo conversion is getting hindered again now as im unable to find the original internal wastegate flange to suit my turbo. so now im looking into the possibility of an external wastegate. i could easily make a suitable adapter between the manifold and turbo, and this would also make me turbo location better infact.

What i need to know, is how the external wastegate will differ from the internal one and actuator arrangement. will it still be usable with the standard 8v management and amal valve setup? any dis/advantages of using the external one?

cheers in advance.

Hoopster

My 205 gutmann Turbo has an external wastegate, but think when you have an external wastegate you don't have an actuator?!

Mine doesn't have one thats for sure, instead there is a hose that runs from the side of the turbo, one from the side of the wastegate to an boost controller inside the car.

so not really sure if you will be able to convert your existing turbo with an internal wastegate to run an external due to the way the turbo is made, maybe someone else on here is better qualified to answer your question!!

bales

I don't know the specifics to whether you would be able to convert to an external wastegate with your specific turbo but it would involve getting a new turbine housing as the existing one is designed to have an internal wastegate assembly. The type of housing you want is just a straight housing that sits around the exducer and has nothing else inside it.

It does still use an actuator but that is part of the actual external wastegate assembly, so your boost signal line is fed to the external wastegate instead of to the actual turbo, but the principal of how it works is exactly the same.

I don't think there are any disadvantages to an external wastegate other than cost and space, the main reasons why internal ones ARE used. They are generally better as you dont get any flow turbulence aslong as you re-route it a decent distance down the exhaust - or have it vent to atmosphere :D

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the existing boost control as you are still sending the same boost signal to it, aslong it is rated the same as the existing actuator.

pdd144c

Will be fine, you can weld something over the original hole.... Like this:

turboflap[1].jpg

The external wastegate will be just as useable with the management.

inferno
Will be fine, you can weld something over the original hole.... Like this:

turboflap[1].jpg

The external wastegate will be just as useable with the management.

thats great... ok my turbo hase the wastgate part on the elbow which bolts onto the housing in this pic. So i can just weld a penny gate on and not the wastegate hinge. Do u have any flanges made up to bolt onto that housing? where did u get it i need mine desperately as i got bored this afternoon n took me engine out... the 2 week race is on :blush:

pdd144c

Yes, but it is a pain to weld as it's cast. What turbo are you using?

inferno

initially a standard RSturbo t3, but then i have a t34 hybrid as an upgrade from my fiesta zvh.

yes i know i guy that will weld the penny gate as i dont have the gear to weld cast properly. wheres the flange that your bolting on the turbo? is it standard equipment on another car? i need one urgently.

pdd144c

Don't really understand why you can't find the correct housing then... Try speaking to a someone like Owen Developments. Also eBay could be good if someone has a shot turbo with the part you require. An external wastegate isn't exactly cheap!

The turbo in the photo is one I was sent a while ago, not one we have worked on.

inferno

my t3 housing

well this is what im working with, the wastgate is on the elbow peice u cant see here. so i need a flange, 10mm steel to bolt on and it has to cover the penny hole, and allow me to weld a downpipe on the back...

fairly straightforward really, i will make one if i get that far without finding one.

im going to fit the wastegate from a td 306, they run 9psi standard, and i have loads of them in the workshop so itll do for a start.

Sam
The turbo in the photo is one I was sent a while ago, not one we have worked on.

Thats what you're doing for me right :blink:

pdd144c

Indeed it is. Can't think who sent me that picture :lol:

How's your trip going?

M3Evo

Those T3s have some kind of bolt on WG holder thing don't they?

External WGs are miles better for controlling boost anyway, much more efficient when on boost :lol:

Sam

They do indeed, on the ERST they have the wastegate built into the downpipe elbow. So in theory you could plumb in an external wastegate into the hole that is shown in the pic or just bypass and seal up that hole.

Indeed it is. Can't think who sent me that picture :)

How's your trip going?

Pretty good. I`m in Acapulco at the moment, due to get to America on the 12th! Will be nice to get the build on the go!

inferno

the wastegate wont fit on that hole unless i can get a suitable seal for the downpipe flange on the top thre bolts where the elbow would bolt on? would the three seal ok?

hmmm or maybe i could have 2 holes in the flange and bolt the wastegate to it and weld the downpipe to it... thatd make a nice neat job... nice one:P

Sign in to follow this