• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Is There A Way Of Stopping My Spare Wheel From Being Nicked?

Atari Boy

Currently my 205 is on axel stands whilst I sort the head out in preparation for the spring and the ring. :P

I am about to fit a full set of decent 15 Speedlines and I am concerned about how secure the spare is from thieving monkeys swiping it. :angry:

Does anyone have any tips for keeping hold of it?

Also what size locking wheels bolts will I need to buy for the ones on the tarmac?

Many thanks in advance

TEKNOPUG

Yep, same here.

Paintguy

When I had my old one, there was a spate of spare wheel thefts in the area, so I secured it with a whopping great chain padlocked around the rear beam :angry:

tom_m

mine lives in the garage :angry:

sonofsam

Ditto that, unless i go on a long journey, then the little spacer saver wheel gets strapped behind the seat :angry:

Ryan

Drill a hole through the boot floor and put a long bolt up through the wheel. The pikey can tamper with the spare wheel cage all they like then...

GLPoomobile

Is spare wheel theft even common these days? I mean you'd be lucky to make £5-10 from a 205 spare wheel. Be quicker and easier to mug a granny on pension day! Still, I guess you should never under estimate the pikey scum!

Are you just worried while it's on stands? chuck the spare in your boot or something. If's long term security you're worried about then I always found that trying to get the spare off a lowered 205 while it's on the ground is a complete ball ache. I'll also add that I haven't had a spare nicked. Not when living in Edinburgh and not while living in London and there are plenty of dodgy places around here!

welshpug

use a bolt off a 306, they're much longer and screw down onto the cage stopping it from being lifter off the hook (the hook is the same IIRC) that and doing it up tight.

hengti

if you've got the room in the boot, i reckon it's just easier all round to keep it there - it's just a faff having to take the spare from the cage at the roadside; it'll be filthy too - just what you don't want if you've got to change a puncture on the way in to work

plus, you can't check the pressure in the spare at all easily - although i guess there will be a fair number of people who've absolutely no idea what condition their spare is in, let alone whether or not there's any air in it

downside is that weight distribution is adversely affected .. maybe :P

that said, i like the sound of Ryan's idea :D

welshpug

its a doddle to check the pressure on the spare when its in the cage :P remove dust cap and pop on airline :D mind, mine isnt lowered 100mm....

Edited by welshpug

Paintguy
use a bolt off a 306, they're much longer and screw down onto the cage stopping it from being lifter off the hook (the hook is the same IIRC) that and doing it up tight.

It's not very hard to cut through the cage though :P

I had to weld the one up on my Topaz, as it'd been chopped through at some stage in its life.

smugpug205
Ditto that, unless i go on a long journey, then the little spacer saver wheel gets strapped behind the seat :P

Same as that, after fighting in the dark and wet to remove it decided to go down the scrappy and got a space saver with the same stud pattern cost me a fiver lives in the boot with the jack and brace all tied in.

Now i have no need for the cage so it's hanging in the shed now

Peugeot / citroen do sell a locking kit for the spares, saved my sisters being stolen on her picaso just before christmas

Adrian

sutol

Chuck the spare and carry one of those cans that inflate and repair the puncture for you, that's what Lotus use on the Elise to save weight. :P

28CRAIG

Tyre Weld :P

Or take a spare in the boot if going on a long journey.

Atari Boy

Excellent, thanks for your help everyone.

I appreciate that they are not worth too much nowadays but nothing would p*ss me off more than getting back to my car to find some pikey had lifted it and sold it for a measly £5.

I would normally worry but with a trip to the ring booked for May I will need a spare.

Ryan
Is spare wheel theft even common these days? I mean you'd be lucky to make £5-10 from a 205 spare wheel.

Turn up at the scrap man's with a transit van full of them and you'll be surprised what they're worth!

gti-hysteria

one of my 205s had a genuine peugeot anti theft thing on the spare wheel, it was a 6mm thick plate with a bolt that went through to the boot. never seen one of them since tho so must be rare i think its still in my garage somewhere tho.

Edp

Like said above peugeot did make a kind of lock thing for the spare wheel. I suppose they made that 'after' a huge spate of pikeys nicking spare wheels.

boldy205

i just use a steel wheel, not a lot from a scrapper.

Rob_the_Sparky

Mine had a bolt through the boot floor and an extra piece welded to the cage but it was so high as to make it nearly impossible to remove the spare. I had to jack up the car to get teh spare out of the cage!!!

Rob

PumaRacing
Is spare wheel theft even common these days? I mean you'd be lucky to make £5-10 from a 205 spare wheel. Be quicker and easier to mug a granny on pension day! Still, I guess you should never under estimate the pikey scum!

Over a period of several months the scum from the council estate up the road nicked from my 205 GTi on the driveway all the badges, the spare wheel and two alloys an idiot I'd paid to do some suspension work had left under the car overnight instead of putting them in my garage. The spare wheel cage was snipped out with bolt cutters.

Seeing as I live in Chalfont St Peter, just up the road from the most expensive property area in the country, Gerrards Cross, if the pikies here will risk being caught for nicking a spare wheel I doubt they'd give it a second thought anywhere else.

The police were wonderful though. They didn't actually come out for any of the incidents but several weeks after each one they sent me a nice form letter saying that no one had been apprehended for this crime. That made me feel much better. Say 'f***' in a public place now though and they'll fine you £80 on the spot. The scum that nicked my bits wouldn't have got that much for theft.

ALEX
Drill a hole through the boot floor and put a long bolt up through the wheel. The pikey can tamper with the spare wheel cage all they like then...

one of my 205s had a genuine peugeot anti theft thing on the spare wheel, it was a 6mm thick plate with a bolt that went through to the boot. never seen one of them since tho so must be rare i think its still in my garage somewhere tho.

My mates had one of these and The Peugeot shop in Brotherton near me still sells them AFAIK.

I have a 15" steel wheel for spare on mine anyway from a 405.

Though I have to keep a set of 4 Tapered wheel bolts in the glove box as the Alloys have flat face bolts.

Yes learnt that I needed different bolts the hard way :lol: .

DrSarty

Hello all. I nearly posted a new thread, but searched for 'space saver' and found this one. This is perhaps aimed at:

SONOFSAM & SMUGPUG who have both said they use a space spacer as a spare wheel from a scrappy. But no-one mentions in any of my search results what size you need, or perhaps even what car to get it from.

I have 15" (TSW) alloys on my Mi 205 and want to reduce weight/avoid the theft issue and SELL MY SINGLE SPEEDLINE 15" WHEEL with a Pirelli tyre, all balanced and with buckets of tread. :(

So:

1) What size space saver/or off what car please?

2) Does anyone want my spare as detailed above/piccies below? - (£15 collected)

RichieFone12Jun001.jpg

RichieFone12Jun002.jpg

RichieFone12Jun004.jpg

RichieFone12Jun003.jpg

RICH :D

P.S. Mods: If you really want me to list the spare in 'for sale' I will, but it should go pretty sharpish I'd have thought. Don't shout at me :lol:

• Like 1

zowow

ha my spare looks original to the car. 1986 an very rusty from rain.

not sure i'd like to drive on it mind :s

Sign in to follow this