• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andy_Gti

Is This Defo A S16 Engine?

Guest Andy_Gti

P2280150.jpg

im not too familier with them, ive ben told its not an S16, that its a Mi16, just need to know really for new parts etc!

cheers!

pug_life

2litre iron block s16 from a 306, also known as 2litre mi16 as found in later 405s.

welshpug

from here I cant tell either way, but the engine number/code would help.

did the loom require modifying to sit where it it? as thats where it sits on the 306, the 405 ecu sits a bit further away so the loom is longer.

eddie_1.9

I don't know if there's internal differences between S16, 405 Mi16, etc etc but from that angle it looks identicle to an S16 lump to me :D

Attached is a pic of my old S16's engine:

post-4136-1170266890.jpeg

Edited by eddie_1.9

maxi

Christ there a lot of stabs in the dark going on here isnt there...... :D

Yes it is definately and XU10J4 which is known as an S16 engine (306) or a 2.0 later mi16 engine(405). This variant of engine can also be from a xantia VSX or a zx16v. The engine code will be on a small tag on the front of the head and should read RFW or RFZ.

I suspect this particular engine is from a 306s16 as the 405 loom is long enough to retain the std 205 ecu position and wouldnt be in the engine bay.

Hope that clears it up and I am speaking from experience not a guess at what ive read that could possibly be right.

Maxi

Edited by maxi

pugpete1108

look for the engine code (front of block,under starter) and check this out:

code list

Emmy Seize
The engine code will be on a small tag on the front of the head and should read RFW or RFZ.

Hope that clears it up and I am speaking from experience not a guess at what ive read that could possibly be right.

Maxi

HMMMM so you experienced some form of engine code transfer ?

Neither of the given codes suit the pictured engine.

Hilgie

It really is an S16 engine though. That's the only engine that came with the plastic inlet manifold of this design.

petert

Whether it's S16 or Mi16, it's all irrelevent, as they're basically the same. However, one thing I am struggling with, is the vacuum pump driven from the inlet cam. On the 2L Mi16 engine I have, it has no vacuum pump, just a plate (see pic.)

Magic lent me an inlet cam from an S16 so the reference tang could be copied. As you can see, it has neither the slots for a vacuum pump drive or the cross drilling for the oil supply. I can only assume it had no pump.

A customer has also sent me a pic. of an S16 cam. It has the hole and the slots for the pump drive. The cam along side it is a reground 1.9L inlet cam, with a new tang pressed on.

So which engines have a vacuum pump?

post-2864-1170416284_thumb.jpg

post-2864-1170416321_thumb.jpg

post-2864-1170416338_thumb.jpg

post-2864-1170416418_thumb.jpg

Alastairh

Yes it does look like a s16 engine, for another pic of one of these in a 205 click the white 205 link in my sig :D

Emmy Seize
So which engines have a vacuum pump?

At least all the engines that had the variable length inlet manifold, where the vacuum is used to switch between the different length trumpets.

Cruise control on the 306 also utilized vacuum to operate.

Hilgie

@petert:

All Peugeot ones had the vacuumpump and so did the engine in a Citroen ZX afaik. It does not have a vacuumpump if it came out of a Citroen Xantia as those have the hydrolicpump that operates the brakes.

petert
All Peugeot ones had the vacuumpump and so did the engine in a Citroen ZX afaik. It does not have a vacuumpump if it came out of a Citroen Xantia as those have the hydrolicpump that operates the brakes.

Can't be true. As you can see from the pic. of my 205, it has no pump. I personally pulled that engine out of a 2L Mi16. It had the normal two stage inlet manifold. The same must be true for the S16 cam that Magic sent me. Perhaps Australian cars didn't have the pumps?

DTORU

If you mean the vacume pump for the brakes just run at pipe off the manifold somewere as you dont need to have a pump on a petrol engine. Switch the cams for the early MI ones and run the MI16 Dizzy Converter for the 1.6/1.9 GTI - MI , Thats what im doing to mine. Run 48 Webber carbs and 4-2-1 Manifold.

Sorted.

888rmb

ZX 16vs had the vacuum pump on the inlet cam but 306 S16s and 405 did not.

Hilgie

Where did they get there vacuum from then? As far as I know taking it of the inlet manifold will cause some problems with the ACAV system...

@DTORU: no problem with that, but as above, the ACAV system doesn't really like vacuum take off, because it is controlled by vacuum. No problem for you as you don't have the ACAV system anymore.

B1ack_Mi16

I'm pretty sure the 306 S16 has the vacum pump, but not the 405 Mi16 2.0, neither the T16 (at least not my T16 engine). I bought two 306 S16 thermostat housings and both had the pump, my mates 309 S16 which be got the engine from a 405 didn't have the pump.

The ACAV system operates on it's own vacum takeoff from the manifold, and the brake servo takeoff is placed on another take-off on the manifold. So no problems with that.

Browsing the parts CD confirms that the 306 has vacum pump with both S16 and GTi6 engine, while 405's only have vacum pump on the diesel engines.

Guest Andy_Gti

hi all, thanks for your help, theres a reciept in the folder that i got with the car sayin its from a 306 gti-6 but i just wanted some confermation! we took the engine out yesterday for a little work and found a nice set of cams and a spanking new clutch, which is nice!

Hilgie

@Kristian: T16 never has vacuumpump because it does not have the ACAV system.

As far as I know that was the only reason for that pump being fitted: ACAV system not working properly due to vacuum take-off.

Interesting to see that the 405 did not have it then. Does the 405 Mi16 fase 2 has a brake servo at all? Or uses it the same system as in the old Mi16 where the ABS pump was integrated with the mastercylinder?

inferno

that doesnt look like the gti 6 engine found at the scrappy yesterday... the inlet on the 6 is alloy not plastic...

mi16s and bx16v's have the PAS pump pulley on the back cam.the early engines at least. the ones with alloy manifolds have a take off on the manifold. the gti 6 has a cam vac pump.

Sam
Christ there a lot of stabs in the dark going on here isnt there...... :blush:

I think people were only mixed up about whether it was from a 405 or a 306. Nothing more. It´s blatently obvious its the 2.0 16v.

Sign in to follow this