• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dixon

Strange Knocking And Grumbeling

Dixon

At slow speeds I've noticed a really bad knocking / grumbeling noise coming from the front of the car.

The frequency varies with speed but not revs and sounds like a rotational noise.

So I'm assuming it has something to do with either the wheels or driveshafts?

It's quite loud and obvious and doesn't sound muffeled so I'm guessing its not gearbox related, but not 100% though.

I put it up on axel stands last night and ran the car in gear but could not replicate the noise or see any problems?

Oh and the driveshafts were both new last year and done less than 1k. Half of that on track though.

Any ideas?

Edited by Dixon

hengti

i guess you'd just have to go through all of the rotational parts, checking and eliminating as you go

if you're lucky, it might just be a flat spotted tyre (have you locked them up on track?) - they make a din

dee205
P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer.

S: Took hammer away from midget

:wacko:

Does that help?

:D

Dixon

It's definatly not anything like a flat spot on a tyre.

It's a loud solid mechanical noise.

And I'm pretty certain it's not a midget with a hammer, although I've not done any tests for that yet!

dee205

Is there anything catching the wheels like an inner guard?

Also possibly a wheel bearing. You'll may not hear it jacked up as there is little weight on it.

Damien

Dixon

Tried it again tonight with the wheels off and it does it unloaded when up on axel stands now.

It's nothing catching as I've been under it and checked all that while the wheels are spinning.

I've put a bar on the gearbox and had a listen and can't hear the noise coming from there, but when on the hubs it is really obvious solid clunking.

dee205

As previous. check wheel bearing before it does any nasty damage.

Damien

Dixon

What's the best way to check them?

wildejon

Just try to wobble the wheel shaking the top and bottom of it (not the sides or you'll just turn the steering), if it a bearing I think it should be fairly apparent. Always has been on mine in the past.

Dixon

Turns out it was the brakes!

I removed the brakes and ran it up, no more knocking!

Very strange so made sure everything was ok on them and put them back on.

Started it up and the knocking was back!

So changed back to the crappy road pads that I had before fitting the Mintex's in december and it's all fine.

Went to Combe on sat and ran with these pads instead, well early braking required compared to the 1155's! lol

Sooo, any ideas why the Mintex 1155 pads are causing this?

Sign in to follow this