• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Trailing Arms

boldy205

Hi, just wanted to make sure i can fit any 205/309 trailing arm (disk or non disk, base model or gti) to my 309 gti rear beam? just to clarify before i venture off to the scrappy this weekend.

Thanks very much for any input.

Matt.

boldy205

pretty please, anyone? :rolleyes:

welshpug

yes IIRC the only difference is the stub axle thats fitted.

boldy205

ok thanks, im off to the scrap yard with a big hammer and a grinder :D !!

boldy205

:D thats just what i needed!! i presume the trailing arm shafts are all of the same Dia.? as in a 306 shaft will fit the 205/309 main tube and trailing arm? thanks again

Matt.

welshpug

yes all arm shafts are the same (205 309 306 that is)

boldy205

hmmmmm, a bit of tinkering is going to happen methinks! so i see that toe i helps steady the car at high speeds yet 'dulls' the turn in, will this reduce lift off? for example having Xsara VTS rear arms with 5mm toe in on a 205 GTI beam make a real world differance to lift off? just wondering?

thanks again for your input.

Matt.

welshpug

IIRC more toe in means more stability at speed, but less toe in means better turn in (which is interesting, explains why my ZX feels better on twisties than my old 306)

boldy205

ok thats as i expected. anyone else have anything else to say please do, personal experiance of differant arms etc......... :D

boldy205

do any FWD cars have toe OUT?

axnutty

This is all very interesting to me as well at the moment...(thanks Graham for pointing me in the direction of this subject yesterday btw :D )

Ive just gone and dug out the papers on my race car to see what the back axle is set up on that. Its running 30mins toe in and 1.5 degrees neg camber at the rear.

Given that - the ZX 16v trailing arms seem to be pretty close to those settings (although its questionable that those are the actual settings you want :wacko: given they are for an AX, and settings are only correct if you personally deem them to be - everyone has a different driving style after all)

I went down my scrappers today and low and behold they still have that 16v zx in...hmm, I may have a go at this and see what happens. £40 though for both trailing arms..and they are seized...:roll:

Jer309GTi

Sorry if I'm being stupid but what does the 'mins' mean with reference to the toe in?

boldy205

AX nutty, your running an AX beam i suppose? if not whats the spec?

thanks.

axnutty

Yes its a an AX beam on my ax...but its all been set up at great expense at somepoint so im using it as a guide...and as no one else has said what a tarmac spec 205 back axle should run I thought it a useful(?) guide...

Its the ex works back axle (ex Dimi Mavroupoulis) with 23mm torsion bars, solid mounts, 26mm ARB, and discs... upfront its Ledas, rose joint wishbones, eccentric top mounts with 0 degree toe and 2.5degreee camber...

A minute is 1/60th of a degree.

Jer309GTi
A minute is 1/60th of a degree.

Cheers, makes sense now ;)

boldy205

this may sound trivial to you then AX nutty as my 205 is only for road and trackday use, but i just like to know what will fit before i go and rip (more) stuff apart and find out it dosent fit. To be honest im pretty hacked off with the fact that i have to have this conversation as i have been let down by someone on this forum for no apparent reason, id like to know why? ;) thats neither here non there for you or anyone else who has written in this topic so far tho!! (Rant over!)

think its off to the scrappies for me on the weekend then, i will keep you posted with my results.

but in the meantime if anyone has any other findings theyd like to share?.......... :D

PS: AX NUTTY, nice car, that sounds like one serious piece of kit you have there.

JER309:fancy a scrapyard rummage sat morning? i will pay for your petrol if you wanna run that MI16 in?

Jer309GTi

Of course! Have to be first thing though. Got plenty of petrol in it ready to go (sorry for offtopic ;) )

axnutty
this may sound trivial to you then AX nutty

Not at all, im on a very sharp learning curve with the 205 myself so I cant really say alot other than what ive gleaned from here.

Henry Yorke
Its the ex works back axle (ex Dimi Mavroupoulis) with 23mm torsion bars....

Off topic... Last time I saw Dimi, he was in an black Audi Quattro S1 Sport at Cadwell, doing Rallycross in about 1987! A tad different from an AX!

axnutty

I think hes driven quite a lot of things.... infact I think the ax sport was probably a low point. ;) Especially when compared to a Quattro S1 Sport :drool:

boldy205

Just had a thought will AX arms fit a 309 beam? Suppose they will? I know of a scrap ax gt. It has drums. Anyone know camber and toe in on one of these? AX NUTTY?

axnutty

Totally different arms - wont fit Im afraid.

boldy205

ok thanks, ive been to the scrappy and robbed a 309 for its beam. this has now caused more questions, so im going to start a new topic now!! oh joy!

Sign in to follow this