• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Jazz

Removal Of Locking Wheels Nuts

jonnie205

I have a box of about 30 assorted keys so there will always be one that fits. Its generally just time and effort to get them undone but try taking the 3 standard bolts out and going for a small drive with the 1 locker holding wheel on, this usually loosens it right off

Revla
I have tried smacking a socket on and it just slips off... this is with a really good smacking...

I'm thinking you haven't got the right wrong sized socket there!!

BERTMAN

try a slightly bigger wrong socket!!. I did as all the above have also said... socket and hammer, worked fine

Jimmy Jazz
try a slightly bigger wrong socket!!. I did as all the above have also said... socket and hammer, worked fine

I have tried a number of sockets... I have blow torched one on to the socket but that did't work!!!

I have no other options than to pay for some one to do it... I also have to get it trailered there... My practical performance car is not looking so practical any more... Still it is not a mechanical fault and touch wood for such an "unreliable" car my car is going very well...

James

pugrallye

Okay.... find a long cylindrical steel drift, cut up anti rollbar is ideal, smack the lw nut with a big lump hammer, what it does is shrinks the alloy behind the nut after a belting session you should be able to get some needle nose pliers in and twist the nut/bolt off (it will be loose as its no longer clamped tight against the alloy wheel.... it does work, its what we do at work when we get somone in on a sat afternoon who has lost their wheel nut key

Guest BrainFluid

Hello.

If were talking about 1.9 speedlines here....And all you really want to do is get a new tyre on your flat...Try this.

Remove the center cap. Undo the hub nut. Remove the wheel complete with wheel nuts and hub/brake disc. Take this complete to the garage and have them change the tyre!!!

Point out what you had to do and they my even get the bolt out for you. This will at least get you back on the road mate so you can drive to someone who can help you get the other bolt off.

Hope that helps.

Nathan.

EDIT: This is what I do whenever I want the hub off the rear on my 1.6 if I have the 1.9 wheel on at the time, same with my td if I have the STDT wheels on there. I'm sure this is possible with disks too, you will probably have to remove the caliper also.

Edited by BrainFluid

Banjo

You wouldnt be able to get the split pin out of the driveshaft with the wheel on tho.

hengti

don't know the change over point, but earlier driveshafts didn't use a split pin (ed. 'R clip') - they had a groove cut in the end of the shaft that the (malleable) nut was hammered into

Edited by hengti

Guest BrainFluid

Indeed. This is the case with all the 205's I've had. From an 89 F reg to a 92 J reg. In fact Ive never even seen a drive shaft or an axel stub that used a pin and not the groove for the nut to be punched into.

Even if the ends of your drive shafts do have the split pin I wouldnt be surprised if you could just dremel each end of it off and still be able to get the hub nut off with the wheel still attached.

M_R_205

iv had 3 205`s now and thay all had an R clip and and cap over the hub nut,

as for locking wheel nuts i dont bother after some one nicked the wheels of an old laguna i bought as a towing car,it had 1 per wheel and they were smashed offsome how, left the damn thing on its arse, no bricks no love nowt :)

Edited by M_R_205

Sign in to follow this