• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Jazz

Removal Of Locking Wheels Nuts

Jimmy Jazz

I need to take a wheel off the car because the tyre is flat so I have to put my old ones back on for a while...

The only problem is my key nut only has one prong left on it and thusly will not undo the locking nut...

I have tried shouting, mole grips and the usual trick of trying to force the locking nut into a small socket with a thump of the hammer but nothing will work...

My local Pug dealership (Fussells) says it may be possible to get a replacement key but it will cost me 30 squid and could be up to a month and thats if thet can find one...

I know that Halfords sells those tools for removing them that thread around the bolts and twist them off...

I am not cinvinced that these will work on my pug's bolts as there is a very short stem on them so the thread will not be that effective... True??

Is there anything else that I can do short of stuffing a fertiliser bomb in the rim???

James

Revla

Get a slightly undersized socket on the locking nut, using a big 'mer..........

(can't remember the size)

Then simply undo....... works for me

Edited by Revla

jackherer

hammer a smaller socket on! :)

also when you do it put the three normal bolts in and do them up very tight so the locking one is looser.

j_turnell

As said hammering on a smaller socket sometimes works, best bit of kit to use is the Snap-on extractor set, gets anything undone!

Grim.Badger

You can try really tightening the other three bolts, then you can sometimes undo the locking nut by hand (or so people say, I've never tried it too be honest).

Edited by Grim.Badger

maturin23

All the above!

I got mine off when the socket method failed by tightening the other three bolts and using a hammer and chisel to mash the outer 'skin' into the central part.

Once this was done I used a large moley grip.

Worked just fine...

GLPoomobile

So is there actually any point in having locking bolts if they can be removed like this?

Surely any career thieves are going to be able to get them off fairly quickly. Guess it's lucky that our favoured Speedlines are not worth a lot these days!

ini

The reverse thread locking wheel bolt removers do work, but they are designed for use with air tools.

I often have the problem of buying 205's with locking bolts and no key. So far they have mainly been Peugeot type bolts, and as i have a good relationship with my Peugeot dealer, i take in a plasticine mould of the bolt, and if they have one they lend me the key.

Any garage will be able to remove the bolt for you.

Other than that try to find a cheap matching key or bolt set on ebay.

Jimmy Jazz

I agree that these locking wheel nuts seem pointless...

I have asked around and most places cant get hold of the right key...

My local Pug dealer can but it will take a month... i suppose it is because it is not a current key or something...

Even so... I am bored stiff at the moment... I have had the GTI since the 8th of December and I have driven everyday bar xmas day... so if i dont get a drive out of it today i will be very upset... and yes there may be tears...

J

DrSarty

GLPoo> I believe that locking wheel nuts or ANY alarm system is NOT a prevention; it is a discouragement. Imagine trying to do all that ^^^ at night where/when you might get nobbled if you've parked somewhere relatively safe!

I've heard that kids apparently even stoop so low as to nick another kid's trainers that are a bit (army term) "Gucci". If you fitted that kid with fangs, they'd think twice. (Stupid analogy :) )

The pikie tea-leaf w&nkstains will still come up with a way eventually, but whilst they're trying to figure it out, you've still got your snazzy wheels and some other bugger loses theirs.

I have my 15" TSW summinkoruvvas 'protected' by locking wheel nuts, and I sleep so safely knowing that they're defending my lovely alloys with their lives.

Long live locking wheel nuts. Yay :lol:

Rich :D

Quite clearly I need help :)

Jrod

I used a punch in one of the holes and managed to undo it with a hammer

Alastairh

Go to halfords and buy a locking wheel nut removal tool... :rolleyes:

Not used them, just think its a disgrace Halfords sell them :unsure:

I've done what james T has done in the past with the snap on kit, and it really is too good :D

888rmb

you can get the locking wheel bolt removing tool from the Sealey catalogue as well, probably cheaper than snap on

Leon C

Drill the centre of bolt head with a 11mm drill until the head comes off. Take the wheel off, then you should be able to screw the rest of the thread out by hand. If not use WD40 and mole grips.

Dream Weaver

Just take it the local garage and they will sort them for a fiver - got my MOT man to do mine :rolleyes:

Toddy

Chamfer the edges of the locking wheel nut with a dremel, then knock a hexagonal socket on, worked for me

jim205GTI

I'll have a look tonight but my bro might have a spare......... he had the same type of locking nuts on his 106 and his key fitted the ones on my 205 :P .he's since got rid of the car but might still have the key

Grim.Badger
So is there actually any point in having locking bolts if they can be removed like this?

Surely any career thieves are going to be able to get them off fairly quickly. Guess it's lucky that our favoured Speedlines are not worth a lot these days!

As said it's the extra couple of minutes that it would take them to get the wheel off that's important as they don't want to risk getting caught. Plus if you're stealing wheels you don't want to draw attention to yourself by hammering a socket over one of the bolts :P

GLPoomobile
As said it's the extra couple of minutes that it would take them to get the wheel off that's important as they don't want to risk getting caught. Plus if you're stealing wheels you don't want to draw attention to yourself by hammering a socket over one of the bolts :P

Yeah, fair point, and I realise that completely. I'm a strong advocate of deterant being the best form of prevention.

BUT, you also have to consider 1> If a thief wants something, he'll take it (I'm not really worried about my scabby Speedlines, but if I had some 18" Chromed rims it would be a different matter). and 2> nobody gives a s*it if an alarm goes off, or if they see someone breaking in to a car. At best someone might actually phone the old bill, but the thief could have the wheels off long before they turn up (if ever).

So in summary, there seems to be a hell of a lot of people who end up being inconvenienced by broken or missing wheel nut keys, when in reality, if a thief wanted the wheels badly enough, they wouldn't make a damned bit of difference.

steve@cornwall

14mm socket usually works for me! needs a hearty slapping to get it on, though

hengti

if all else fails, weld a suitable bar to the nut

it's a bit extreme, but i've had to do it before :D

Jimmy Jazz

I have made some progress today. I have managed to get the key renovated by having the holes drilled out and the pins replaced... I managed to remove two of the locking nuts, on from a front wheel and the other from a rear... ideally i need to remove two from the front at least because I only have 4 speedlines so I dont have a spare to replace the one i take off... Also I am still unable to remove the flat wheel... so no real progress but sime...

Tomorrow i am going to get the repinned key repinned again but this time using a hardened rod and i am also going to drill the holes in the bolts so they will take a larger prong for more grip becuase the prongs keep slipping out...

I must have turned into the hulk when i put these bolts on becasue they are super solid...

More progress tomorrow...

p.s. the code on my key is JS33... if anybody has one i could borrow temporarily it would be much appreciated...

J

Banjo

Have you tightened the other three bolts up? I wouldn't bother with repinning the key, just get an old socket and smash it on, easy.

pugrallye

the extractors only work on types without the free spinning outer sections (as do undersize sockets) there is a sure fire way of getting them off but its a bit debatable whether to post it on here being a public forum and all????

Jimmy Jazz

well...

If you know the sure fire way of getting them off please tell me...

I have tried smacking a socket on and it just slips off... this is with a really good smacking...

I have a mechanic who I have spent a lot of money with in the past for my MG and he says he can do me a chocolate flavour and take it off but I have to get my car to pewsey and it doesn drive very weel with a flat tyre at the moment...

James

Sign in to follow this