• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest cknotty

106 Xsi Intermittent Starting Problems

Guest cknotty

Sorry for not being a 205, but haven't had any joy with this on either PSOOC or the 106 Rallye forum :angry:

I've been having a small ongoing issue with starting on my '92 106 XSi (pre-cat) for a little while now. It fires, but then splutters and dies, sounds like no fuel pressure, therefore the fuel pump must not be running. Here's what I have so far...

• The car starts perfectly fine when cold.

• There are no idle or misfire problems.

• It occurs when the car is semi-warm, say, going to fill up (a bit embarrasing! :wacko: ) although it's also happened sometimes when restarting after leaving for a few minutes after a good long drive.

• The fuel pump is getting voltage (10.4v) when it cranks and doesn't start.

• To cure this, I have to unplug the big ECU connector, then plug it back in again. The car starts straight away as if nothing had ever happened...

Any thoughts? There seems to be a voltage drop somewhere, but because it's only happening every now and again it's strange one for me...

Thanks,

Chris

Guest leegt

almost sounds like water temp sensor? taking of the ecu plug, maybe resets the ecu. in the past a problem like this usually relates to the brown ign relay which supplies the fuel pump and coil amongst other things also the the ecu earths the second relay in ign relay this part of the relay supplies the feed to pump and coil, check the connection to the pump, on the ax gti the connection is white( i think) under the ecu, and i have found the wires burnt out with the car doing the same trick as yours, hope this helps

Edited by leegt

Gregg

When it fails to start is it sparking and do the injectors fire (wet plugs easiest way to tell)?

The pre-cat XSi's have ignition modules like the 205/GTi's (and plenty of other Pugs), fairly common for these to play up, although more likely to show up as a misfire as well as non start. Ignition relays are another problem as mentioned above, they like to stick.

Check the ecu itself, had one once where the eprom chip had come loose inside the ecu :D

Guest cknotty

Thanks for the replys ;)

The injectors must be working, and there must be a spark as the engine does fire initially, but then cuts out through lack of fuel pressure. It may very well be a sticky fuel pump relay, and unplugging the ECU resets it somehow. I do have a spare ECU, so can always give that a go. There can't be a loose EEPROM in that one, as I can't hear anything rattling about inside! :D

Sign in to follow this