• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt205xs

205 Mi Running Rough

matt205xs

driving it this morning, was pulling really well until after a point and not realysure what happened but now its running with nto as much power and sounds more like a vw beetle than an mi16 on carbs?

could this be over fueling, not siure why it happened all of a sudden tho,

matt205xs

ok i think ive just found out what it is,

the verdict is the head gasket,

i checked to oil and it was dripping with white mayo,

checked the fillar cap to find the same,

also half a tank of coolant has gone too,

how much does it cost to get fixed?

boldy205

DIY or at a garage? a vast differance in cost, should be under £100 if you DIY, tho i have heard its very difficult to change the HG with an MI16 in car on a 205 (as you will need to put a new cam belt on too)

matt205xs

was hoping a garage jobbie, as i probably could do it but not done one before so would need a sort of dummies guide lol

boldy205

'Dummies guide' also kown as the Haynes book of jokes!! call around motor factors and price up HG kit and cam belt kit Inc rollers and poss water pump if it is unknown as to when it was last changed. Try to find out if you can do it 'in car'. anyone on here know?

t16ryan

it can be done in the car, but you may find its a cracked liner as that happened to my mi16 last month,

matt205xs

were they similar symptoms?

or anything else which i could look for?

matt205xs

right im looking into buying a compression tester, just want to make sure that the symptoms shwon above are defo to do with head gasket, liner problems, as i always took a HG Failure to have smoke bellowing out the back, this didnt happen

kyepan

White smoke or not depends whats blown on the gasket, if its blown between cylinder and an oil way, or cylinder and a water way, or blown between an oilway and a waterway, or between two cylinders..

DrSarty and I put a head back on his MI yesterday in situe and it was easy . Undoing stuck fastners (like exaust manifold studs / nuts) would be the hardest bit.

Doing the cam belt can be easy or hard depending on the ammount of access you have and where your loom is routed. The rest is just carefull undoing, doing back up etc, making sure things are clean and being methodical.

I would not panic too much as there are plenty of people to offer advice if you decide to do it yourself.

plus whilst the heads off you could get some 3 angle valve seats :wacko:

matt205xs

right i am going ot do it myself starting this weekend, ive bought my self a compression tester,

ive read thru haynes can someone just go thru the procedure for both doing a compression test, and also lining up the cam timimng when removing the head?

Sign in to follow this