• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest smokinslim

To Compensate Or Not To Compensate,

Guest smokinslim

I finally fitted my 309 beam yesterday, and now have a complete set of 1.9 brakes (front and rear) fitted to the base model system. Everything connected straight up which i'm quite pleased about as some of the new bits i bought i don't need. The thing is being as it all went together so nicely (for a change) the brand new rear compensators i bought are still in their boxes instead of being on the car. In essence i now have a front and rear split base model brake setup with 1.9 calipers all round instead of calipers up front and drums at the back.

The question is, is the lack of compensators gonna cause me problems? I know one of the mods runs without them (presumeably diagonal split system) but i can't remember which one to ask. I imagine if i start braking hard and late all the time i'm gonna get much more sideways action, but i'd prefer to see what others think first than find out the hard way. Also is this going to cause any issues come mot time (soon)?

Has anyone tried this particular setup before? If so how did it go? Any ideas, opinions, experiences would be much apreciated cheers.

Rob Thomson

I used to run my 309 with it's bias valve fully open (ie. maximum rear braking) more or less all the time. I thought it was the perfect set-up; I'd lift off the throttle and the back would start to slide, and then get on the brakes and the back would slide some more. It was almost perfectly linear through the throttle and brake, I could do anything with it, and it was never scary when the unexpected happened.

But I'd be much more cautious on a 205 because the wheelbase is shorter and the weight distribution is less favourable than the 309s. Personally I think you need some way to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes.

Edited by Rob Thomson

Higgy

Me & Anthony (& probably others) run GTi-6 fronts, standard rear calipers with standard master cylinder and NO compensators.

The car feels fine and it passes MOT.

I think the general recommendation is, if you dont have this set-up, then use the compensators or bias valve.

Its been my major headache for every MOT, and I was VERY pleased to ditch them.

Higgy.

Sign in to follow this