• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SaneMan

What Does A Mexican Have Below His Carpet?

SaneMan

My GT was parked up for a year and the heater matrix burst and flooded the carpets.

I tried to dry them but it was impossible. I stripped the car and when the carpet came

up the underlay was completely knackered. Soaked through and it had turned into weetabix.

I had a small fire under the bonnet when a fuel line came loose and I put Quick Start on, igntion

caused alot of the hoses to melt.

So I found a GT on ebay and won it for £120 quid.

So this donor car has been parked up for 3 years and today I got my arse in gear to

finally remove the seats and swap the carpet and underlay over.

Image31.jpg

Those stupid screws were all rusted up but I finaly got the seats out about 3 hours later.

Took off all the over bits holding the carpet on and the lifted the passenger footwell bit up.

;):(:D:P

Image33.jpg

It was flooded as badly my original was. ;) Its falling apart at the slightest touch.

Gutted is not the word !

mancrying.jpg

How can the carpet be dry as a nuns minge and the underlay is as wet as Jordans beef curtains?

Can't believe my crap luck.

Anyone got a link to the company that sells the underlay? It was posted recently... but in my

depression I can't find it.

Batfink

cant help but i love the thread title :D:P

Paintguy
How can the carpet be dry as a nuns minge and the underlay is as wet as Jordans beef curtains?

Easily.

The water generally leaks in below the level of the carpet, or behind it, soaking the underlay. Because the 205's carpet is plastic backed, it never seeps through.

The post you are looking for :D

jim21070

I'm stating the bleedin' obvious here perhaps but do fix the leaks before putting in new sound deadening.

Favourite spots are the windscreen, sunroof and the rear quarterlights.

The windscreen is easy. Get some Butyl Rubber mastic as used by the windscreen trade and squeeze it in between the glass and the rubber seal and between the rubber seal and the metal. Go all the way around with the sealant with the nozzle stuck as deeply in as possible. It is a good idea to blow out the rubber seal with compressed air to displace all the moisture and crap before putting the sealant in.

The Sunroof usually leaks at the handle screws. New washers required.

The rear quarterlinght seals give up. Sometimes they're just displaced and dirty. If they are intact, take 'em off and give them a good clean and replace, ensuring the front edge (nearest doors) is well butted up against the frame.

Leave all carpet and underlay out for at least a week to give it a good test. Only replace when all is known to be watertight!

Luckily, 205s can get very wet inside and don't seem to rust much.

Final tip: With all the carpets and underlay out, the inner sill bungs are easily available to spray rustproofing wax in the sills and also the chassis box-section rails are accessible from small holes in the footwells to make wax injection easy. Also, the rear quarters are similarly very accessible for rustproofing treatment.

Edited by jim21070

SaneMan
I'm stating the bleedin' obvious here perhaps but do fix the leaks before putting in new sound deadening.

Final tip: With all the carpets and underlay out, the inner sill bungs are easily available to spray rustproofing wax in the sills and also the chassis box-section rails are accessible from small holes in the footwells to make wax injection easy. Also, the rear quarters are similarly very accessible for rustproofing treatment.

Thanks alot for that link Paintguy. :D

Jim, the car has been parked up for over 3 years and I have only used the boot for storage.

You are right that some rain must have got in from the sunroof and the other places too, broken rear quarter that was taped up.

As I bought it as a breaker to use for my GT I won't be bothering doing anything to that car.

But I will try your tip with the waxoyl on my restoration GT if I can find the holes to pump it in.

Cheers mate.

Sign in to follow this