• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Decisions

Mike Walker

Just trying to decide which way to go with the car. I know it'll have an Mi16/S16/Gti-6 in it at some point in the future which brings up the question of braking and driveshafts.

The cars a 1.6 so it has the weedy brakes and driveshafts. Will I need 1.9/309 shafts on there thus necessitating 1.9/309 wishbones, hubs and brakes?

On the rear, will I need disks and therefore the 1.9/309 rear beam?

Will the front brakes cope with the power or is it wise to opt for the 307 brakes?

All in all if I had the money i'd get the full 309 wider track setup with 307 HDi brakes so essentially this is a question of reducing the burden on my wallet, If I can get away with sticking with 1.6 stuff and just rebuilding/uprating it I imagine it would save a fortune :D

GLPoomobile

You'll need:

1.9 hubs

1.9 driveshafts

1.9 calipers and disks

You don't need to swap wishbones unless you want negative camber in which case you'll need 309 wishbones AND driveshafts.

If you want to upgrade the front brakes, the recent views seem to be to go for the 266mm brakes from a 306 (forget which model) as it is plenty enough with less unsprung weight than the 288mm conversions. You could probably get away with just using some decent pads and disks with braided lines and dot 5 fluid if it's just for road use.

At the back, you can go for a 1.9 beam, 309 beam, or rebuild your beam with 1.9 arms etc to give disk brakes. You can stick with the 1.6 MC and compensator set up too. Group A beam mounts are worth doing at the same time.

jackherer

You'll be absolutely fine with the 1.6 stuff IMO, just fit some decent pads (I use mintex 1166) with good standard discs.

Good condition 1.6 shafts are fine with a power hike, but if they are old now they may not last long with increased power.

Mike Walker

Bugger, two conflicting opinions already :D

The car will be used on maybe 3 trackdays a year but mainly just road use.

I am a firm believer that if your brakes start to fade though you just go in for a bit to let them cool down and that if you're finding them a bit weedy on the track then just brake earlier!

I think i'll just stick with 1.6 stuff as it fits my budget.

Is it a massive ballache fitting the 1.9 rear arms to the 1.6 beam? How do you go about connecting the brakes up?

jackherer
Bugger, two conflicting opinions already :D

well, without meaning any disrespect to GLPoomobile, I don't think he has an Mi16 :P

Mike Walker
well, without meaning any disrespect to GLPoomobile, I don't think he has an Mi16 :P

lol, always better coming from someone with first hand experience!! :D

I assume that you're running/have run the 1.6 setup with Mi16 power?

GLPoomobile

haa ha ha no offence taken (you bastid :D ) ;)

I didn't mean to cause confusion, and didn't mean it to sound like 'this is what you must do', just that I prefer not to keep the 1.6 set up due the s*ite bendix calipers and the wider front track. And yeah you can leave the back end as it is but I just assumed you wanted to move to disks and wanted advice.

Must go now, have advise Tony on some very imortant goverment policies ;)

jackherer
lol, always better coming from someone with first hand experience!! :D

I assume that you're running/have run the 1.6 setup with Mi16 power?

My own 205s all started out as 1.9s but I've converted a few 1.6s for other people and they haven't had any problems. The front brakes are the same diameter on 1.6s and 1.9s anyway, the only significant difference is the driveshafts but they aren't an issue. As for the rear brakes drums are just fine, although I prefer discs simply because its much easier to change pads than change drums...

Actually now I come to think of it I have owned one 205 that started out as a 1.6 but was converted (by me) to an Mi16, but that was a CTI and I didn't have it very long at all.

Mike Walker
haa ha ha no offence taken (you bastid :D ) :D

I didn't mean to cause confusion, and didn't mean it to sound like 'this is what you must do', just that I prefer not to keep the 1.6 set up due the s*ite bendix calipers and the wider front track. And yeah you can leave the back end as it is but I just assumed you wanted to move to disks and wanted advice.

Must go now, have advise Tony on some very imortant goverment policies :(

No worries, as always I appreciate any help!!

I would prefer to have discs on the rear as I assume this would result in more balanced braking?

jackherer

Rear brakes do a lot less than fronts, drums are completely up to the job.

Mike Walker
Rear brakes do a lot less than fronts, drums are completely up to the job.

Cool, saves a lot of ballache :wacko:

VisaGTi16v

On my Visa sprint/hillclimb car I run the 1.6 hubs, driveshafts and brakes with rear drums. I have done so for 5 years with no trouble and thats with 168bhp and for the last 2 years, slicks as well. I dont side step the clutch off the start but due to competing, change gear as quickly as possibly and nothings snapped so far. The rear drums are standard, front brakes are as well except for Pagid fast road pads and I have Goodridge hoses all round, it stops ok but then its down to 790kg at present

wildejon

Ask Revla also, he has an Mi (quite a quick one too!) and until recently had the 1.6 rear setup, now has a 309 beam so might be able to tell you if it has made much difference to the braking....

Sign in to follow this