• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

What Areas Are Bad On 205s?

djinuk

i need to know what areas i need to check for rust.. or leaks etc.. its a 205 xs F reg, looks pretty mint but i wana make sure.. thank you

peter

Under and infront of the battery also where the front panel meets joins to the body infront of the battery.

Also if its ever had aftermarket side skirts or arches check at the bottem of the rear quarters from inside the car (take the rear cards off to check)

Rob_the_Sparky

Also seen bad rust where the B pillar meets the sill.

djinuk

cheers for that , going to give it a good luck over 2nite

sonofsam

1st rule of going to look @ cars ~ Not in the dark :D

djinuk

lol , its not that already got the car , but its for the gf :D

j_turnell

Personally i'd check the following:

- Boot floor

- Under rear seats.

- Inner wings.

- Chassis Legs

- Sills.

- Around Windscreen rubber.

- Bulkhead seam near exhaust.

- Battery Tray.

- Front panel.

- Behind rear light clusters.

Signs of rust on body panels i.e front wings, generally means theyve been replaced or there is a dodgy seal or blocked drain. Take out rear cards and check there is the factory primer on the inside also.

checking for leaks, rocker cover gasket, dizzy o ring, sump, driveshaft oil seals, sump plugs are the common ones.

Hope this helps.

boombang

Behind the fuel tank up in the corners, and also in the small box section bit between where the filler neck comes down and the tank (and opposite side) - have seen box of these in a state very recently on my new shell.

max0

cant believe no one has said the rear beam yet! :D

Edited by max0

brianthemagical

check behind headlights, for the hassle of taking them out i wish i had.

yorkshirekowboy
Under and infront of the battery also where the front panel meets joins to the body infront of the battery.

Also if its ever had aftermarket side skirts or arches check at the bottem of the rear quarters from inside the car (take the rear cards off to check)

on the rear quater bit from inside the car bit u talked about, u made me go out now at 11 oclock :(B) to find out if mine were ok, and realised that the rear door cards are a mission to get off, snapped one nealry in half ha and lost some clips but i was goign to treat down down anyhow :D

anyway, i found one side had like mud in and it was wet, and the other side dampish with a flake of paint off, and it loks as though (didnt take cards right off) maybe surface rust at the mo so nothing bad!!!

whats the best thing to treat it??? spray it with primer, etc whats the bst stuff to use??

also is there drainage holes on the bottom of that bit??

thanks

dan :D

djinuk

lol thanks for the help guys, as for rear beam im looking at lowering the car anyway so im guessing ill need a new 1

de Noir
Personally i'd check the following:

- Boot floor

- Under rear seats.

- Inner wings.

- Chassis Legs

- Sills.

- Around Windscreen rubber.

- Bulkhead seam near exhaust.

- Battery Tray.

- Front panel.

- Behind rear light clusters.

Signs of rust on body panels i.e front wings, generally means theyve been replaced or there is a dodgy seal or blocked drain. Take out rear cards and check there is the factory primer on the inside also.

checking for leaks, rocker cover gasket, dizzy o ring, sump, driveshaft oil seals, sump plugs are the common ones.

Hope this helps.

...and following:

- bulikhead-front chassis joint

- rear passenger seat floor folding (where floor panel meets sill section, visible under the carpet but best visible from underside, just between fuel tank and sill)

Both positions are covered with panel sealer, which eventually cracks letting water inside and wreaking havoc, far from sight. For more details check my shell repair photo story here

djinuk

*nibbles nails, getting very nervous now*

Rob_the_Sparky

For a car of this age rust isn't a problem. Post about '87 they were galvanised and good examples should have little or no rust. I've bought cheap cars, (one zero cost, one <£400) and a good one and none have had any rust that needs worrying about.

Then again I've seen cars with bad rust but they are generally fairly easy to spot and you just run a mile and wait for another to become available!

Don't panic, finding a rust free one isn't that big a job. Finding one with a working rear beam however is VERY unusual. They NEED to be rebuilt and you should budget for this. If it has been done then cheak what has been replaced and compare to beam building guide on this site.

Rob

Rob

Sign in to follow this