• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MartinR

306 Spinnaker - 1.6 Tu Engine

MartinR

Hi all

Hope someone can shed some light on this one as I looked under the bonnet of a friends car and hit a bit of a blank.........

Its a P reg 306 spinnaker, 1.6 TU engine, multipoint injection. Its trying to idle, but actually is being more like a 205 GTi with a dodgy SAD and "hunting" up and down (for want of a better description)

Anyhow..

I looked for some kind of idle control valve, but there clearly is not one. There is not one controlling the throttle butterfly position or one around the induction system.......................... So i guess question 1 would be, how is the idle controlled on this car?

The second question is how is the amount of air measured by the ECU? I cannot see a MAF sensor or an AFM, all I can see is a small pipe going over to the offside suspension turret, could this be a MAP sensor? The only obvious sensor I can see is a throttle potentiometer and thats it.........

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Martin

Sandy

It has a MAP sensor and throttle position is secondary. Check for air leaks, they are the favourite cause of this. Removing, cleaning and carefully re-fitting the inlet manifold and Idle motor (beside the throttle body) often fixes it.

benje

Martin,

Yes that is the map sensor. On my old 1.6 it used Bosch Motronic 5.1 and it definately had a Idle control valve, on the end of two pieces of rubber hoses. Underneath the manifold (plastic manifold)

benje

You can just about see the pipe (I've highlighted it)

post-3144-1169752091_thumb.jpg

swordfish210

the bad idle could be caused by a duff lambda sensor, could be worth lookin at even if it is just to eliminate it as a cause

TB_205GTI

The ICV sits on the backside of the inlet manifold, far down :D

It looks like the SAD on a 205 - it has two rubberhoses on each side.

MartinR

ahh so it is that thing... i looked at it and thought those were water hoses! DOH!

Thanks for the pic Benje

I think the lambda sensor is ok coz the car sailed through the MOT, its just being a w4nker on idle. So it could be the MAP sensor pipe is full of sh1t, the MAP sensor itself or an air leak.

Thanks for the replies chaps

Martin

Sign in to follow this