• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

Change Your Gearbox Oil

KRISKARRERA

My gearbox oil has been leaking for ages and I'd been topping her up now and then but really I'd lost track of how much oil was in there so I figured I'd do a complete drain and refill. In the past I've renewed gear oil to see if it'll help gear changes and been left disappointed. Not this time though.

Luckily the main stealer had the plugs and washers in stock. I cut my thumb getting the drain plug off. Nice. The freezing cold air made it feel like I'd chopped the bloody thumb off! Anyway, 1.4 litres came out, so I was down a bit. (Maybe that was causing the problems, who knows?) Then I put in the new 75w80 stuff, and drove off up the road and I am shocked at how much difference it's made. For a while she'd been stiff going into second and sometimes when the engine was cold it'd get stuck in first like superglue! I just assumed it was just symptoms of an old gearbox. The old oil had only been in 22k miles yet it was nearly as dark as used engine oil. Now with the new oil in the difference is like night and day. Almost. :ph34r:

Definitely worth doing though if your gearbox is being a bitch or you've no idea when it was last changed.

saveloy

You are useless. :D

You should have thrown in some synthetic stuff.

KRISKARRERA

Ohhhh this old debate. I've heard too many bad things about using synthetic on these gearboxes.

Neosophist
Ohhhh this old debate. I've heard too many bad things about using synthetic on these gearboxes.

Bad things? I have this gearbox and Will be doing a major service on it next weekend and the gearbox oil is going to be replaced, I was going to stick with 20/80 but i've seen the fully synth, what bad things you heard? I'm going to stick to the standard stuff me thinks...

matt1900

when i first got my 1.9 it was a bastard to find 1st and reverse and just generally felt harsh selecting any gear.

at the time i was working for vw and the mk4 golfs had a similar problem selecting gear, vw supplied an uprated gear oil to remedy this problem and it worked a treat.

so i went straight to the parts dept and pinched a couple of bottles. it made a definate improvement, goes straight into 1st now and although not perfect, is all round smoother. as far as i can gather this stuff is synthetic and quite pricey.

i've not heared about it causing problems, but even if it does i aint changing back.

Paintguy

When I put the 309 shafts on mine, I thought it was a bit funny that I didn't lose any gearbox oil. After some months listening to a whining box, and putting it down to age, I decided to change the oil. Virtually none came out, and it'd been running almost dry for who knows how long :P

But then maintenance isn't really my thing - I decided to check the engine oil the other month. I took out the dipstick, and it was completely dry!!! I put in a good 2 litres, but it still didn't reach the level mark.

I really ought to get around to topping it up.....

yorkshirekowboy
the main stealer had the plugs and washers in stock.

anybody know the part number for the drain plug and washer for the 1.6 be3 gearbox???

looked on pug parts etc, nothing even asked, just mines seen better days and needind a new washer too :)

KRISKARRERA

The bad things I've read about the synthetic gear oil where on all the various pug/citroen forums on the net. It wasn't all bad of course, but let's say 50% of people say synthetic's best and the other 50% say the O.E spec oil is best I'd end up buying the latter simply because it's what the manufacturer recommends. Plus also our resident gearbox guru uses the O.E snake oil.

When I put the 309 shafts on mine, I thought it was a bit funny that I didn't lose any gearbox oil. After some months listening to a whining box, and putting it down to age, I decided to change the oil. Virtually none came out, and it'd been running almost dry for who knows how long.
Did the gearbox improve after refilling?

anybody know the part number for the drain plug and washer for the 1.6 be3 gearbox???
If it's the same as a be3 1.9 Mi16 gearbox drain plug the number is: 222132. That's for the plug and the washer.

Beastie

In the vintage and classic end of the trade it's usual to be *very* cautious about putting synthetic oil in gearboxes because most synthetics can attack soft metal components inside the box. In this respect not all oils are made equal as a Quick Google Search suggests!

Paintguy

Oh yes :)

It's much quieter now, and the change is much improved. Still slightly notchy in to 2nd, but that's only to be expected with the age and type of car :P

huxley309

I must admit that after using synthetic in both the gearbox and the engine im not very keen on it, my old mans car used cheap castrol and it's done nearly 140k miles and still hasnt missed a beat or drank any oil

Edited by huxley309

saveloy

I have always used synthetic. At the moment, even the grade is the same as the O.E oil (75/80).

It improves the gearchange, gives better protection to parts and has the nice side effect of releasing about 5% in at the wheels power. This last one is due to reduced frictional losses.

Kris, I refrained from mentioning you once in this reply. Doh!

Enfield

After I had the clutch changed on my TU engine they obviously changed the gearbox oil too...The gearbox felt so much better to drive with, really smooth until a few days later it was back to it's normal self - notchy.

So is yours still smooth and how long since you changed the oil?

tagy

I reccomend synthetic too, gearchange feels a bit nicer.

KRISKARRERA

Ooh Saveloy I'm honoured you pay me so much attention :unsure:

So is yours still smooth and how long since you changed the oil?
Is one talking to me?

KRISKARRERA

That's what I said earlier Graham! B)

Plug and washer come together anyway.

yorkshirekowboy
The bad things I've read about the synthetic gear oil where on all the various pug/citroen forums on the net. It wasn't all bad of course, but let's say 50% of people say synthetic's best and the other 50% say the O.E spec oil is best I'd end up buying the latter simply because it's what the manufacturer recommends. Plus also our resident gearbox guru uses the O.E snake oil.

If it's the same as a be3 1.9 Mi16 gearbox drain plug the number is: 222132. That's for the plug and the washer.

hi just got a new drian plug from Miles but no copper washer!! anyhow, it is for a be3 1.6 gearbox for the side filling/draining area!! so i have been looking at these on ebay clicky

would these be ok to be used, would i need the 16mm or the later 14mm for my new drain-plug onthe side of my gearbox??

thanks alot!!

dan

Andrwn8304

Hi peeps,

Getting back to Synthetic Gear Oil thing.

I Just had the 3rd and 4th hub replaced in the gearbox only now when the engine is cold (Stood a few hours and over night) its hard to select 1st and 2nd gears till the engine has warmed up, I was told when I collected the car that they had put Semi-Synthetic Oil in the Gearbox. Bearing in mind its a 1990 1.6 Gti XU5J I think its a BE6 but could be BE3 Gearbox. When the synthetic oils first came out I was always told that it could cause these kinds of problems if its not suited to the Box.

Is it worth replaceing the Gear Oil again with the old EP75/90 oil?

or

Could it be down to a sticky clutch plate?

Any advice would be gratefully read and adhered to.

inferno

last time i filled an empty gearbox with oil after runing like it a few weeks, it went bang the day i filled it!

pug_ham

Gearbox drain plug washer was always a 16mm one afaik, they are 25p each from a decent motor factors so paying £1.99 for five through ebay is nearly paying double the price.

The drain plug isn't on the side of the gearbox though, its on the diff housing. The level plug is on the side.

According to this page the level plug has a 14mm washer.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this