• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
j_turnell

Rebuilding Twin 45 Carbs ( Dellorto's)

j_turnell

Recently i bought a set of Dellorto twin 45's. They were originally on a 205 mi but not been used for a while so i decided to strip them down and replace gaskets, seals and what ever else that is needed. Now im very much a carb novice so currently it all seems like a bunch of screws and springs but have come accross this which has obviously been bodged, what are peoples opinions on getting it fixed properly and anyone reccomend any good books on rebuilding tuning/carbs?!?!

Heres a pic.

DSC00009_1.sized.jpg

Now im unsure of completely what does what here but it appears someone has cut down the middle of where the metal bar goes through and it has snapped off but been fixed back on with some chemcial metal or similar, its not completely straight but feels reasonably secure. Im assuming to change the gasket the bar needs to be removed in order to get the new gasket on?

Any help appreciated.

cheers, James

Edited by j_turnell

christopher
Recently i bought a set of Dellorto twin 45's. They were originally on a 205 mi but not been used for a while so i decided to strip them down and replace gaskets, seals and what ever else that is needed. Now im very much a carb novice so currently it all seems like a bunch of screws and springs but have come accross this which has obviously been bodged, what are peoples opinions on getting it fixed properly and anyone reccomend any good books on rebuilding tuning/carbs?!?!

Heres a pic.

DSC00009_1.sized.jpg

Now im unsure of completely what does what here but it appears someone has cut down the middle of where the metal bar goes through and it has snapped off but been fixed back on with some chemcial metal or similar, its not completely straight but feels reasonably secure. Im assuming to change the gasket the bar needs to be removed in order to get the new gasket on?

Any help appreciated.

cheers, James

Yes you will need to remove the bar to change the gasket. Difficult if it is welded in.

You can try to soak it in washing up water. Sounds crazy I know but it makes the gasket expand a bit and fit better when fitted (if you use the old one that is).

As long as the float moved freely anyway you should be ok. But you won't be able to change the needle valve either without taking the float off

j_turnell

Ok ive removed the bar, surprise surprise the previous repair broke off, no idea how to fix it back together, seems to small to put a dob of weld on it.

trogboy

The vertical split down to the pin is supposed to be there as the two 'arms' are meant to form a gentle interference fit with the pin to hold the end in place. This is quite a common failure whn people try and force out the pin and end up snapping an arm off.

You could weld it but remember that is is aluminium alloy and you'd also need to reform the hole for the pin. Perhaps you could use chemical metal again. As long as the pin is parallel to the gasket mating surface and the float can move freely then it can be whatever does the job.

Sign in to follow this