• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugbliss

Need Help On Caliper Removal

pugbliss

hi all...

i rearly need to change my discs,pads, and quite possibly my calipers.

reasons for this are..

groved discs, worn pads, and old calipers with no bleed nipples and very very old fluid.

does anyone hae a detailed how to, so i can do it?????

i can remove the pads and discs but i carnt ...or should i say ive no idea how to remove the calipers... also are they hard to rmove by hand as i have no air gun to use...

cheers

frodo_monkey

1.6 or 1.9?

If I remember correctly, the 1.6 calipers are one-piece, and are held on by two bolts (19mm?) on the 'car' side of the caliper. The 1.9s are split into two, with a yoke and a pad carrier, but again held to the pub by 2x bolts on the 'car' side. Providing they aren't too covered in muck, they should easily come off by hand (use a breaker bar if they are stuck).

I recommend the Haynes manual - describes this in detail. The jobs easy really, I'd allow an hour including a teabreak! :lol:

EDIT - Saw the title now so you have a 1.6. I'd check your flexi hoses as well, it would be prime time to stick some Goodridge kit on. If you're really struggling, I'm happy to help.

Edited by frodo_monkey

Alastairh

Yeah. First off, grab a bucket, and crack off your 14mm flexi pipe (although some flexi pipe clamps might be a wise investment from Halfords!.

Then 2 19mm bolts at the back. Then you may need your hammer to tap the caliper off the disc with the pads in place and then chuck them all in the bin if nipples are screwed. Then 2 retaining screws holding disc on (some times snapped or none existant though). Then refit using copper greece.

If fitting second hand calipers do double check the nipples are free before you buy them!

Alastair

max0

Yeah as above really undo the two 19mm bolts, not the ones on top of the caliper think the bolt heads face the front of the car? you might need a breaker bar as they are a bit tight. Ive got a old calliper kicking about if you want some photos of which bolts to undo.

pugbliss

cheers everyone.

max0... yeh some pics would be helpfull.

frodo monkey..... ill let youn know how i get on.

how hard is it to crack these bolts off?????

Ahl

The calipers do go on quite tight, sometimes with thread lock, but a decent breaker bar should be able to undo them.

I haven't come across any that were rusted in situ - perhaps the heat cycling through them stops this happening.

frodo_monkey

First off, get the car up on axle stands and take the wheels off. Stick your head under the front valance and look at the back of the hub, you'll see the two 19mm bolts facing directly away from you - one towards the top of the caliper and one towards the bottom. These are the badboys you need to undo. If they're sticky, soak them in WD40 for a day or so then try a breaker bar, but all mine have come undone with either ratchet spanners or sockets (lucky I guess!) :ph34r:

If you do have shagged calipers, I recommend getting a set of 1.9s as they are a better design. All you'll need are the two calipers plus new mounting bolts - 1.9 calipers are a different shape so require different bolts, less than a tenner for the 4 from Pug.

pugbliss

frodo.... thanks for the how too.... i now know which bolts you mean that i have to remove.

1 thing though... you mention that 1.9 calipers are better???

do the 1.9 calipers just bolt directly to the standard 1.6 hubs or do i have to modify somthing? also would i have to chane to 1.9 discs and pads??

cheers

pug_ham

The 1.9 calipers will bolt directly to the 1.6 hubs but you also need the 1.9 mounting bolts are they are different. (shorter)

You'll only have to change the pads to fit in the 1.9 calipers, discs will still have to be 1.6 ones for the offset.

I've not run 1.9 calipers but from what I've read by those that have run both they claim the 1.9's to give better feel & performance.

As the 1.9 caliper body has more metal, there is possibly less to flex. The 1.6 calipers are quite open so you might get slightly more flex from the brake pads but on a road car it's negligable imo.

I think the enclosed nature of the 1.9 calipers will allow less cooling air to flow past the pads when they get close to the temperatures that they are starting to fade at.

Graham.

pugbliss

pugtorque.... so in your apinion its best to stay with 16 bendix calipers???

pug_ham

If both bleed nipples are free, unseized & not sheared yes.

Graham.

pugbliss

Mmmmm well then wanted add`s here i come

Sign in to follow this