• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeHunt79

Dim Dip?

MikeHunt79

When the engine is not running, and I have the sidelights turned on, JUST the sidelights are on....

but when the engine is running, and I have the sidelights turned on AND the dip beam is on, but very low. Is this normal, or do I have a bad earth somewhere? How hard would it be to get rid of this "dim dip"?

welshpug

yes, thats a normal standard feature, to stop plebs from driving along at night with 5 watt sidelights the dipped beam bulb come on at 20% power.

wouldnt get rid of it myself.

t16ryan

IIRC its also a MOT failure depending on age on car, not to have dim dipped system working :rolleyes:

MikeHunt79

ahh, ok I'll leave it... I thought it was kinda weird it only came on with the engine, but if it's meant to be there then so be it!

welshpug

yup, sure is meant to be there, sidelights are for parking, if they were dim dim with the ignition off the battery would soon wither away...

CTI STU

Can you have them so it is just the 5w sidelight bulbs on when the engine is running though??

P.S Ive just been told by my MOT tester freind that it would be ok and a lot of new cars only have just 5w side lights, He said as long as I have 2 side lights, 2 dip beam and 2 main beam then it would pass ok?

Edited by CTI STU

Rob_the_Sparky

Yes but why on earth would you disable a system that gives you better side lights? The 5W lights are crap, I'd rather have dim dip myself than have to use headlights cause the sidelights are so crap.

Rob

P.S. To disable simply disconnect the dim dip resistor fitted behind the bumper under the passangers side headlight.

Sign in to follow this