• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grim.Badger

2 Questions About Struts

Grim.Badger

Question 1: The allen key hole in the top of one of my struts has mangled so I can't stop the shock piston turning while I try and undo the 21mm nut. How the hell can I get this off, it will be a right pain trying to split the 21mm nut with a chisel without the spring retainers jumping off every 5 seconds and I can't see how you'd get a splitter onto the nut. btw I don't have an angle grinder but I do have a dremel type tool, is it worth trying this or will it take forever?

Question 2: I currently have jamex lowering springs that I got as part of complete struts from another car, are shocks matched to springs or can I put my standard springs on with these shocks? I can't remember what brand shocks they are but I didn't recognise them. The car is currently too low at the front for my liking and the jamex seem to have made the car skittish and bouncy (I'm almost certain it's not lower arm bushes as it went like this as soon as I fitted the struts and I've checked the balljoints and bushes).

Cheers :angry:

Doof

Could take it to a garage and get some air tools on the top nut?

Grim.Badger
Could take it to a garage and get some air tools on the top nut?

Absolutely zero money so it has to be DIY :rolleyes:

Craigb

Need to clamp the piston rod then , find an area that is not entering the body , or seal damage can occur, and clamp it with a set of mole grips .

Otherwise it is a trip to a garage or tyre fitter with an air tool .

Would have thought they wouldn't charge for that though

vern

I always slacken the top nut off with the strut still on the car and still on its wheels. And have never had any trouble undoing them, as said before if off the car try gripping the shaft with a couple of pairs of molegrips, (1 does not grip enough).

Rippthrough

Grip the rod with an old fan belt wrapeed around a couple of times then hold both ends of the fan belt with the mole grips and twist it around to tighten it right up, then give it a go, that way you don't damage the rod and form somewhere for cracks to propagate.

Grim.Badger

I should have said, the shock is dead so I'm not worried about damaging it.

I don't have any mole grips at the moment but I might be able to bodge something else up :rolleyes:

Rippthrough

You can do the fan belt method with a pair of big plairs if you need to, just makes it a pain in the arse.

Sign in to follow this