• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Head Rebuild

Atari Boy

My 89 1.6 needs its valve stem seals replacing as it is smoking, it has done 153k miles.

My original plan was to take the head off replace the valve stem seals and put it back and start enjoying it again.

To cut a long storey short I have now have the opportunity to rebuilding another head that I have bought instead.

The new head looks as though it is in good condition but the advice I need is what I should be looking for when trying to establish the condition of it.

The inlet valves are new and I propose to replace the exhaust valves and guides as well as the valve stem seals and obviously get it skimmed also.

Should I push on with the new head or just do the valve stem seals on the old one.

I have done a thorough search and cant get find the direct answers I need.

Any advice or things I should consider would be really appreciated.

mickie

all i did with mine was get it skimmed and fitted new stem seals but you could go on and on..

who ever you get to skim the cylinder head ask what else he could do for you

make sure you put the shims in the right place when putting it back as its a lot harder to set up once its all back together

phonecomz

If you are thinking about the reconning the new head its best to get the old haynes book of tricks out(if you have one), that way you can measure as you go and see what need replacing. You can end up renewing everything, ie guides, valves, cam, so i guess it just boils down to expense.

Considering your current milage, and to make sure that your going to stop it smoking with stem seals, it would also be advisable to do a compression test / take sump off to check mains and big ends bearings.

Atari Boy

Could someone explain to me the shims bit, I need bringing up to speed.

I do have a Haynes manual which is useful.

I am going to replace the sump gasket so will check the bottom end bearings.

mickie

if you do a search you'll find a few good topics about shims..

and haynes is ok too..

I set mine to 0.2mm to 0.25mm inlet and 0.3mm to 0.35mm exhaust and it runs nice

TEKNOPUG

If you are using the new "unknown" head then you should really get it pressure tested to make sure that there are no cracks or leaks. Would be a shame to put all the effort into rebuilding it only for it to fail as soon as you fit it.

Guest justinhincks87

i would personally regrind the valves. get a bit more compression you should do

Sign in to follow this