• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Enfield

Valve Bounce

Enfield

Hi there,

Sorry for all the threads lol. Have done a search for valve bounce but nothing came up for my particular engine.

The car will only rev to 5krpm. I haven't thoroughly tested it because I don't want to blow it up but in 1st I think it's probabaly a little bit more than 5krpm and 2nd gear it will hit 65mph at about 5krpm too. In 3rd it will not go any higher than 5krpm at all which I think is down to the long ratio gearbox.

I thought these engines would rev cleanly to 7krpm...or is my rallye block not supposed to do that?

The car does sound a bit rattlely at idle so next weekend I shall have a good at adjusting the valve clearances; anyone know what they should be set to?

There's also a very high pitched whistle noise which is there whether it's in or out of gear so it's definitely not the gearbox whining.

And also the starter motor makes a funny noise for about a second after the engine has started - what could this be?

Oh and today I had to limp home...I was going round my favourite B-road, overtook someone, went through a series of bends in 3rd with positive throttle and it felt like there was no fuel getting to the engine. Then came out of the bends and onto the straight and popped it straight into 5th travelling along at 70mph and the speed was gradually dying!

It felt like a misfire but didn't sound like it. The fuel light hadn't come on but the fuel guage was near empty but going between empty and quarter full on straight sections...I had to put the choke part way on to get it to run properly.

Got it home, took the spark plugs out and the 3rd and 4th plugs (the ones nearest the distributer) had quite a far bit of fuel on them. So I cleaned them up and took the car to the petrol station, put £10 of fuel in there so it now has a quarter of a tank of fuel in it.

The car is running fine now. My dad reckons that I might have dragged some sludge from the fuel tank. The guy I bought the car off said it had been sitting for a couple of weeks so perhaps it was some dodgy fuel?

Ta

trogboy

Did you buy your rallye from Dan?

Are you saying that it will only rev to 5000rpm because the valves start bouncing or beacuse it is just running out of guts?

Valve clearances - book values are 0.20mm Inlets and 0.40mm Exhausts. Personally I use 0.20mm Inlets and 0.35mm exhausts but some people use 0.20mm for both.

Your fueling problem sounds like a bit of cack stuck in the primary fuel jet. It is quite common for your type of carb. Some times it'll sort itself out after a while but sometimes it can be so bad that the car will only idle or run flat out on the secondary fuel circuit. Sounds like yours has been cured but it is often worth changing the fuel filter for a couple of quid and even cleaning out the carb if you are that way inclined.

No idea about the whistling without hearing it! sorry

Enfield
No idea about the whistling without hearing it! sorry

My dad can't hear it but then again after the age of 21 you don't hear some high pitched noises...

Yeah I bought it off of Dan.

Sandy

65mph in second is 7000rpm on the standard UK Rallye gearbox. The rev counter is terribly inaccurate in my experience, maybe yours is even worse?

Enfield
65mph in second is 7000rpm on the standard UK Rallye gearbox. The rev counter is terribly inaccurate in my experience, maybe yours is even worse?

I hope this is the case. Is there a quick fix for it?

stu_woac

and the whistling could be a pipe off the air box? if its on if not check the front of the manifold theres a air hole there to improve emissions (you know like the wiget thing, the manifold is already doing that)

Enfield

I've had the airbox off it today, all pipes are connected so it's not that.

The whistling noise was louder when the box was off though. It was coming from the carb (I think).

Can you be more specific about this hole in the manifold? Any pictures of it?

Sandy
I hope this is the case. Is there a quick fix for it?

Fit a proper rev counter, that's about it!

t16ryan

sounds like your rev counter is inaccurate like said above, and maybe a air leak on the carb or manifold giving the whistling sound :)

Jrod

Cam tensioner, mine made a horrible squeal and I thought it was an exhust leak / carb.

Enfield

Fitted a K&N bolt-on filter to it today and was taking apart an XS carb (not fitted to anything) and was trying to take out what I thought was the main jet...

Which is the main one because I was trying to take out the one on the right (the side opposite to the throttle links), when i took the emulsion tube out there was something in the end of it.

When I had a look down in the hole where the tube came out of there was no where for a flat head screw driver to go.

So I just put it back and took the other emulsion tube out and fitted the K&N jet down in there....

Jrod

spa0616yb4.jpg

(Ignore the writing, they are the emulsion tubes.)

Removed them and below it is the jets, hard to see and you will need a skinny screwdriver.

Once undone you can remove them with a cocktail stick.

I think the one on the right is the main jet but remove it and it will have writing on, the higher number is the main one. ;)

Edited by Jrod

Enfield

Damn.

When I removed the emulsion tube from the one on the right hand side there was something like one of those little ball things from a the nib in a biro stuck in the end of the tube.

When i shone a light down to remaining hole there was no where to put the screw driver head into. Maybe there's something stuck in the top of the jet?

Is there a ball thing that goes up and down in the emulsion tube or something?

Jrod

Not that i know of.... :ph34r:

johnnyboy666

i think if there is a ball thingy its supposed to be inside the emulsion tube!!

Jrod

I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be anything though.

stu_woac

you should have one clear and one blanked tube what you are says about the ball is the blanked one it gets the air to the right speed for the jet

the unsrewing is a bit of guest work but the jets are down there you should be replacing the 113 or 116 depending on year of car to the k&n 122 jet and the other jet is 130 this is the wrong jet to replace

Edited by stu_woac

Enfield

So the emulsion tube with the ball on has the main jet underneath it?

I've had a look down there and there's no where to slot the flat head of the screw driver into!

Jrod

There is! :lol:

stu_woac

yep there is just need the right size srew driver and keep turning it will find the gap

johnnyboy666

i had a similar problem, it was like there was nothing in there- turns out i had unscrewed it without realising when i was trying to. i eventually got it out by using a drinking straw and sucking it up, be ready for a mouth full of petrol tho!!

sutol

Have just stuck a head gasket on fleabay for a Rallye if you are interested. Might be worth a look as it will probably only make 15 - 20 quid.

Enfield

Honestly there isn't. I've had the other jet out already.

Looked down into the main one and there is just a dome shaped thing down there.

Sign in to follow this