• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Faz85

Grp N Exhaust On A Daily Driver 1.9 8v?

Timmer205
im with tony im after the same qualities in a system as him!! :P:P

Same! :D

bales

Why does everyone want a group A, I am pretty sure you wouldn't gain anything and probably lose a fair amount of mid range with a 2.5" bore on a standard 1.9

The CTR only has a 2" bore and that is 200bhp!

In the 4 stroke tuning book it recommends 2" for 110-140bhp which is strangely exactly what peugeot decided to use :P:D

I've just bought a whole load of 2.5" bits for my turbo and to be honest it looks huge compared to the standard systems tubing.

DSC01982.jpg

Its all about the gas velocity dontcha know! :P

Tony_205

i dont track mine so i wont be noicing much difference in power loss anyway.

to be honest i dont think il loose power, its more of a case of losing torque because of the lack of mid box and larger bore.

I want something that sound good :P

sonofsam

I think the original system does sound good! The silencers are of a straight through design anyway

are they not?

Have to agree with Bales, 2.5" on a standard engine is too big and

Why would you not be worried about losing torque :P

But hey it's your car..and money :P

ross009
I think the original system does sound good! The silencers are of a straight through design anyway

are they not?

Have to agree with Bales, 2.5" on a standard engine is too big and

Why would you not be worried about losing torque :P

But hey it's your car..and money :D

no its not that i want a 2.5" system i just want something with a rally-ish sounding note thats all :P

Tony_205

I drive the car on my own/with 1 other person in with me.

There wont really be much loss if any, i just want a nice exhaust note so im willing to compromise :P

Thinking of eventually gettin a cam etc aswell so it wont be standard.

Maybe a group N is the way forward? I didnt actually say i wanted a group A, just asking a question to find out what you lot thought was best!

I want something stainless though i think, but not magnex etc with inward/outward rolled as im not a fan of them. Im a fan of DES's custom group A system though :P it does look rather nice

bales
no its not that i want a 2.5" system i just want something with a rally-ish sounding note thats all :P

I would definately recommend the OMP group N then, I had one and it sounded really nice, deep on idle but with a nice rasp higher up the rev range.

There wont really be much loss if any, i just want a nice exhaust note so im willing to compromise smile.gif

I wouldn't be too sure about that, the last thing you would want on a 1.9 8v is to lose the area of the power curve where it actually does its best work.

I personally would have though that if it is the noise you want just experiment with 2" but with a a single box, but given how loud my grp N was with 2 boxes it would probably be a pain but each to their own if you can live with it. :P

brianthemagical

why not try a standard mid-section with various back boxes. i had a peco 3inch straight tailpipe box on mine, it was taken of an ax so i didn't pay forit and it's know off. that poped and banged on was loud on the over run but i felt like a tit driving it in public. and at 3000rpm, slightly less than 70, it was chuffin loud. it send vibrations through my body at certain revs, which was nice. i think it looked mint though. it fitted the valance recess perfectly and was shiny chrome.

Tony_205

@bales; The group N you talk about, the OMP item... Is this the sort thats bein sold on ebay for 159.99?

Had a look and it does look quite smart. Im taking it would need welding to the downpipe on my Phase 1.5 H plate 1.9?

Cheers, much appreciated

bales
@bales; The group N you talk about, the OMP item... Is this the sort thats bein sold on ebay for 159.99?

Had a look and it does look quite smart. Im taking it would need welding to the downpipe on my Phase 1.5 H plate 1.9?

Cheers, much appreciated

Yes I think so, it is a twin box with a 2" tailpipe, I had to mod my downpipe for it to fit but I think that depends on whether you have the proper pug part or not. The non-oe ones I "think" bolt straight on and the pug ones need cutting down.

I didnt weld mine I just cut it back and it sleeved over (or in) I can't remember, but it certainly wasn't a big job. They aren't made amazingly well though, the paint comes off quite quick and they can look tatty but mine was used as a daily driver for 18 months and did 20k miles with it nearly and nothing went wrong with it, and I live in the country so it gets all sort of crap and salt on it during the winter and it was fine.

Mine is a f reg so it is the changeover point I think so not sure what phase it was, though the exhaust was 1 7/8 not 2"

I have a little video of it which is a bit crap quality but it gives an idea of what it sounds like.

(This was on pistonheads briefly and every single person said it sounded crap like an old fiesta and that it must have a hole in the exhaust :P - I was most upset for about 2 minutes :P it sounds really nice in real life though)

Edited by bales

Timmer205

Personally i am only after the back box for a different sound - not going to change the full system so i dont loose any ponies.

Doof

Do all aftermarket exhausts give you the horrible boomy / resonating sound at some point in the rev range?

I've got a magnex but at 3700 rpm its really annoying. Might have to go back to standard unless theres another that just sounds good without the resonating.

What about wrapping the exhausts in some sort of heat proof rubber in places, you know like those rubbery exhaust wrap things you use to hold them to the car. Could these dampen the metal to stop them being annoying?

chris1986

i have thomp grp n one. when you first put it on it actually sounds quite quiet. but after about 5 months when its all warm its very loud now. don't know if they all do this or not. its the one with only one back box, no centre silencer. if you like your car to be quietish, then dont get the omp one. i like the sound though alot of other people do to.

Tony_205

Im after a nice raspy sound like a rally car, that gives a nice popping sound on overrun/deceleration.

I want to replace the downpipe back system in stainless so it can be easily maintained and will last!

Faz85
Do all aftermarket exhausts give you the horrible boomy / resonating sound at some point in the rev range?

I've got a magnex but at 3700 rpm its really annoying. Might have to go back to standard unless theres another that just sounds good without the resonating.

What about wrapping the exhausts in some sort of heat proof rubber in places, you know like those rubbery exhaust wrap things you use to hold them to the car. Could these dampen the metal to stop them being annoying?

I think you'll find the majority do give that boomy noise, as the majority of after market exhausts produce less back pressure than standard. Jetex do a system for the 205 GTi, which is stainless so it will last, but it is actually quieter than the O/E system.

As for reducing the boom, I have heard promising comments from people using dynamat in the boot floor, not really sure about wrapping the exhaust but i suppose it could work.

As for the GrpN exhausts - Most have found that the OMP is quite a bit louder than the Peugeot Sport item. I purchased mine in early feb, and although it is quite noisy to begin with, it quietens down considerably within about 400 miles. They are fairly inexpensive, but are prone to rust. I took the advice of many on the forum and gave it a liberal coating of exhaust paint to prolong it.

Faz

Tony_205

So surely the best option to go for is the stainless OMP system? What differences are there between this and the Peugeot sport item apart from it lasting longer?

Ive never heard a group n pugsport system on a 1.9, so im unaware of how good the "rasp" is from it that ive heard people talk about?

Faz85
So surely the best option to go for is the stainless OMP system? What differences are there between this and the Peugeot sport item apart from it lasting longer?

Ive never heard a group n pugsport system on a 1.9, so im unaware of how good the "rasp" is from it that ive heard people talk about?

If your primary concern is it lasting longer, then stainless would be the one to go for. Im not 100% sure but i think the diameter is slightly bigger on the OMP, hence why its louder than the Peugeot Sport GrpN. I've never really been a fan of OMP stuff, and so an inexpensive peugeot branded exhaust was the obvious choice for me.

In both cases, the exhaust is very basic, just a straight thru mid section and a simply baffled straight thru back box. Although i cant compare the two because i've only heard the Peugeot Sport, I know that stainless exhausts have a tendancy to sound a little tinny. My GrpN is pretty quiet at idle, but is quite boomy at 2k. between 2k and 3k it sounds just like the O/E system but is a bit more meaty. At 4k the boom returns, and after about 4.5k it sounds quite raspy, especially when heard from the outside! As for popping on downchanges, it does but this is mainly dependant on the fuelling. Mine's running slightly rich which has something to do with it.

Hope that helps

Faz

Tony_205

Ahh there we go :) thats what i was after. I no what you mean about that 'tinny' sound. This is why i wanted opionions as im a bit reluctant to go and spend 200quid to turn my pug into a boy racer nova-sounding nail!!

Think the PugSport one has an upside where it looks standard, leaving people to wonder about a nice exhaust note. As you describe it, i think ill go for that one. A B Motorsport are only a few miles from me, so i can collect easily enough. Thanks for your advice, this threads been an interesting read!

Regards.

Faz85

No probs Tony, I got mine from AB motorsport as well, it works out about £20 cheaper if you can collect. One more word of advice, make sure you get the new address from him, as the website has the old address on it, and the guy has changed premises. He forgot to tell me that until i had arrived at his old premises :) , but on the plus side its closer to the A46 now so its even more convenient!

Other than that, i think you made an excellent choice, just remember you need a couple of clamps (51mm and 54mm) and although i didnt have to, you may need to cut a few inches off the mid section pipe to get it to fit nice and snug (depends on what downpipe you have). finally, give it a few coats of exhaust paint prior to fitting to protect it from rust and your sorted! :P

Faz

Timmer205

This is the one im looking to buy in May:

http://www.specialtuninguk.co.uk/acatalog/...ilencer205.html

Is it any good for noise-im looking for more noise than standard but not too loud. Had a look at the omp one but prefer the simplicity of this one.

With regards to painting it to help prevent rust, do you just cover all the outside or a bit of the innards as well?

Faz85

Thats a Peugeot Sport GrpN backbox Timmer, Unfortunately it wont fit straight onto the standard mid section, because the diameters are different, so you would either have to get the mid section as well...

Grp N Mid-Section

...or alternatively you could bodge it with some kind of reducer pipe or weld it on to the standard mid section. I coated the outside of mine with exhaust paint and sprayed some just on the inside of the tailpipe.

The mid section is fairly cheap in comparison to the backbox, so to save hassle it might be worth getting both parts rather than trying to mate the backbox to the standard system.

Faz

hodgy

i only got a group A as my group N was going rusty and the group A is stailess steel and cost £200 delivered. it doesnt feel as good as the group N ill admit that but its a good price,mine is light weight and i love the pops, where my group N didnt pop and i had it on two different cars for nearly a year

GLPoomobile
where my group N didnt pop and i had it on two different cars for nearly a year

My Gp N (mild steel) has also been on two cars - my 1.9 8v and my current 1.6 - and it doesn't really pop either. Someone suggested IIRC that it is to do with fuelling, i.e. it will pop more if you are running a bit rich.

I have to say, that after the last 2 years of seeing the Group N exhaust topic constantly recycled, I'm now more confused than ever! I thought the Group N was a single box design (no silencer on the center pipe) available in either mild or stainless steel. And that the Group A version was the 2 box design, but larger bore.

However, on this thread, and other recent ones, people having been calling the single box version the Group A and the twin box version the Group N :) So what is the score with this.

Is the number of silencers irrelevant, and the Group A/N defined by the bore?

bales
Is the number of silencers irrelevant, and the Group A/N defined by the bore?

Yeah

Sign in to follow this