• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
clifton

Gearbox Change

clifton

i was changed mygearbox today as the old one was lets just say in not very good condition! and i took out the passenger side driveshaft and that came out very easily, but i couldnt get the drivers side one out, i have looked at the guide for changing a gearbox but i just cant do it at all, so i just gave up for today!

or is there anyone near to bradford that wants to finish off the job for me:)

ben

pug_ham

Shouldn't be that hard, how soon do you need it done?

Graham.

smckeown

yeah shouldnt be any bother really. I tried to change a pug box while it was in the car once..never again :) Some people can do it though...respect!

clifton

yeh and i seem to be one of the people that cant do it lol...and just whenever really, just preferably sometime before this end of this month if its possible ! i want to have another try at it but i dont just incase i f*ck something up!

Edited by clifton

j_turnell

The drivers shaft can be a pain sometimes, best to remove the two intermediate bolts and then get a hammer and chisel and give it a swift tap as it enters the rear engine mount housing, will come out then.

sorr

I have found it easier just to remove the bearing housing, with the drive shaft still attached, from the block. This is due to the fact that I did not have a rachet spanner or deep socket and the intermediate bearing threads are too long to use a standard length socket.

Hope this helps.

clifton

i have took the 2 nuts off of the 2 11mm bolts and it still wouldnt budge, which is a safe bit to hit with a hammer! and if this doesnt work i will just try to take off the bearing housing, did you undo the bottom engine mount aswell?

cheer

ben

welshpug

tap the shoulder of the driveshaft.

if you decide to remove the mounting you wont get the shaft out of the way without unbolting the mount from the subframe.

clifton

ok i will try that then later today or maybe tomorrow and see if i can do it

cheers for the help

j_turnell

Have you pushed and turned the two 11mm bolts so the lugs are pointing outwards as these are what hold it in, best to remove them if your struggling. Hit the shaft as it enters the bearing housing, where the two 11mm nuts are and it will come out np.

clifton
Have you pushed and turned the two 11mm bolts so the lugs are pointing outwards as these are what hold it in, best to remove them if your struggling. Hit the shaft as it enters the bearing housing, where the two 11mm nuts are and it will come out np.

yeh i have pushed and turned them but still didnt seem to do anything, which lugs should be facing outwards!

i have taken the 2 11mm nuts off but didnt want to just pull it out as i didnt know if it would wreck anything, i will have a go at hitting it there then and see if it comes out!

cheers ben

phonecomz

Id leave the mounting on as it should still come out pretty easily.

Best way if your struggling is to make sure you have got the two 11mm bolts in the right position as mentioned already, if your unsure of the positon put them back as they were first, them push them out slightly and turn them 180 degree.

Their is a small exposed shoulder on the drive shaft as it passes through the mounting, just tap this again as mentioned with a chisel and hammer and if bolts are in right position i will move, if not dont force it excessivley just check the bolts again for position, you should actually be able to remove one of the bolts, this will make it all a little easier to understand.

If you still struggle after that let me know as i may be over your way next week and will take it out for you...

pug_ham

It won't just pull free, usually a decent drift & club hammer get it moving though. :angry:

There is a stop on the inner side of the driveshaft where the bearings sits in the housing & you can hit that to get the bearing moving.

I could get across one day towards the end of this week, if you want me to come over & sort it drop me a pm to discuss.

Graham.

James_m

I may get shot down for this, but ive found its much easier when the gearbox is in neutral. I have absolutly no idea why this may be the case, but its worked twice in the past for me, once on a 306 and then on a 205.

pug_ham

I always have the car in neutral for removing the gearbox.

Graham.

James_m

I was more referring to removing the drivers side driveshaft, should have been more specific. I cant work out how it would help, but it just does...

Sign in to follow this