• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CTI STU

Stereo Is Stuck In?

CTI STU

Ive got a Panasonic CD player in my Cti that I want to take out but cant seem to find any release key things not even on ebay, and cant seem to see where the would go anyway!!

Any ideas??

jim205GTI

On the stereo there might be some plastic covers over the holes where the release keys go to free the stereo. COuld be worth checking halfords as they seem to stock a wide range of stereo release keys :huh:

On a different note on a mk3 astra i had the stereo had the holes for the to pronged style key but they wouldn't fit in... after much effing andblinding went to halfords to ask for the keys which removed the stereo they said that on the astra stereo have to remove two tiny allan key screws before the key would fit B)

MiD

I downloaded the manual for my Panasonic CD player via Google I couldn't figure out even how to get a CD in or out of it. It did not need any special tools to remove it, only a screw driver in at each end after each other to release a little catch

Guest rick03054

If you cut 2 bits of a wire coat hanger about 10" long you can usually bend them round and use them in the holes instead of buying the special keys.

It's just a metal tag thet gets pushed in so it doesn't catch the frame when you pull the headunit.

SaneMan
Ive got a Panasonic CD player in my Cti that I want to take out but cant seem to find any release key things not even on ebay, and cant seem to see where the would go anyway!!

Any ideas??

I've got exactly the same problem with a Panasonic in my GTi Stu. There doesn't seem to be the holes for the release pins.

I've tried to prise it out of the cage with a screwdriver but that will just crack the trim.

Might have to start taking the dash apart to get at it from behind.

Paintguy

There are many different types of release keys. The 'standard' two holes either side isn't really standard any more.

Here's a selection of some of the different types. Nothing specifically for Panasonic though, so try contacting a car audio dealer that stocks that brand. Who knows, if you talk to them nicely they may just do it for you :)

welshpug

pull the carpet trim panels off the left side of the dash and you can just push the unit out.

SaneMan

Any ideas??

Did you get it out Stu? I didn't have time to check mine today.

Alastairh

I've got a panasonic.

I lost my keys and used 2 food knifes and wiggled each side and it'll come out.

ORB

pull off the trim from the side

push the radio out from the back.

GLPoomobile

Pushing it out is not a solution if the metal tags are still engaged with the cage.

ORB

once it is out you can sort the cage.

SaneMan
once it is out you can sort the cage.

I pushed in the tabs with a screwdriver and pulled the stereo out connected to the cage.

CTI STU

Still in :(

Tryed everything pushing it out from behind, knives etc nothings working :D

SaneMan
Still in :)

Tryed everything pushing it out from behind, knives etc nothings working :(

Do you want to keep the stereo you are taking out?

I was replacing mine and as it was causing me so much hassle I got

a flat screwdriver and at each side pushed it in and slowly tried to prise it out.

Then I noticed the cage has tabs holding it in place. If you can push these tabs back in towards the

stereo the cage should come out along with the stereo in it. Once those tabs are out of the way use a screwdriver on each side to flick it out. They are about 2 inches in.

As you said you pushed it from behind it's probably the bloody cage stopping you.

If you dont want to keep the stereo you can get a bit brutal with the screwdriver too.

My last plan was to hammer the screwdriver into the cd slot and pull it out with that. :(

Luckily it didn't have to go that far.

Goodluck ! :D

Edited by SaneMan

MiD

Why not viist a local car audio shop? explain the problem and ask how they would resolve it. They probably encounter this difficulty every day and will know the short cuts/knack on the way to remove it. As it may only be a job that takes them seconds they may do it for you for free.

Keep us posted on how it finally works out (pun!!!)

CTI STU

Going to have another go this weekend!!

I will let you know how it goes!!

Sign in to follow this